Uh-Oh, GM well below 25% market share

RancorKeeper

Looks like the 400lb gorilla in the corner at GM finally stood up. Their market share for June looks like it's going to be below 22%, which is a full 10% less than last June. Granted, last June was their first month of the "Employee Discounts for Everyone" sale, but still, that's an enormous drop. Does anyone else think the General's share might dip below 20%? I thought they'd stabilize right around 24 or 25, but maybe not. I certainly don't see them doing much better anytime during the summer.

Edited by RancorKeeper

I simply don't think you can compare numbers from this year vice last year. First, they "borrowed future sales" IE folks that would have normally waited a year or two to buy another vehcile instead bought during the employee pricing fire sale last summer. Another reason is I personally know folks that would have NEVER bought a GM product in their lives bought a GM vehicle last summer. GM ran out of cars last year and they had record numbers, the highest in decades. To compare their limited incentive sales this year, selling to a public that essentially has a 1 year old GM car sitting in their driveway isn't really proving anything. GM started their 0% financing and "take it home for 24 hours" after 9/11 and this appears to be the first significant amount of time they have gone without some sort of firesale going on since then.

Because ALL of the domestics jumped on the employee pricing bandwagon, I think that these reasons apply to Ford and DCX as well to a certain extent.

Just keeps sinking lower and lower. Pathetic, when much of the drop was avoidable.

Ford started the fire sale first with $1000 plus 0% for 36-72 months. Not many people noticed, though.

I've updated my price comparison tool to handle low-rate financing. Once Chrysler formally announces employee pricing--supposed to be today--I'll start showing those prices as well.

As far as I know, my site's the only place on the Internet where you can compare these different deals.

Edited by mkaresh