2012 Focus Open Center Console?

emerrill

So does anybody know how to get into the center console, where the hvac and parking controls are? Both right hand buttons (the Park On and Park Aids Off) don't work - nothing happens when you press either of them, and they don't light at night.

Thinking that the connector is just loose. Yes, I could just take it back to the dealer, but if there is a relatively easy way to get in there, I would just asume check myself, and save a few hours of time.

Thanks

Their are probably clips on either side of the console trip, but you might end up having to remove several different sections, and might break the clips. I would let the dealer be responsible. The car is brand new they should be able to serve you first!!!

Looking at the shop manual (They no longer have a step-by-step remove-install instruction) you need to remove the console-or at least the side panels and most of the top to access. I agree with DerekC..have your Ford Store do the work...also hopefully someone Michigan Assembly is monitoring our forums and taking note of issues posted here.

Looks like it might not be so bad after all..

Here is a pic of the console area showing lower panel and EATC module installation, FYI.

Parking brake control bezel

Parking brake control

58044D90

Selector lever trim panel

Selector lever

-

HVAC electrical connector (2 required) (part of 14401)

W706999

HVAC module screw (4 required)

HVAC module

Lower finish panel

W714630

Lower finish panel screw (3 required)

post-19633-0-76178800-1305128661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tiberius1701

Thanks for the info Tiberius1701!

I am plenty aware of the risks - I tinker a lot, and I like being able to do things like this, and have very rarely broken anything I've taken apart. If it is as simple as a unseated connector, then I would rather not have to spend a few hours at a dealer waiting for them to get to it, so I just want to look at that one thing - if that's not it, into the shop it goes!

Thanks again!

So, I got the console open, and now I am sad (and my car is going into the dealer friday). There is no cable plugged into the switches - and there doesn't appear to be a spare one floating around in there.

It looks like it was probably built with the wrong wiring harness (there is the main harness there, which splits to all the connections in the area, but there isn't one for the parking switches). I really hope it is more simple than that, or they are going to have to tear the car apart :(

emerrill, I hope everything works out in getting the proper wiring harness and/or control modules properly installed in your new Focus. Good diagnostic work on your part, btw. :)

I was somewhat skeptical about Ford's hype about the new manufacturing plant for the North American Focus. emerrill's anecdote, along with fit and finish issues I've seen on other 2012 Foci, suggests I had every reason to be.