Part of the Edge Sport gang now...SOON!!!

Luvmyfords

Hey all you Ford fanantics, especially the Edge owners. Looks like I'll be joining the "elite" crowd now. I have a 2011 Edge Sport on it's way ( dealer trade). Hope I'm making the right decision by trading in 2 vehicles for the 1. Saying so long to my 2004 FX4 150 and my 2006 XLT Escape. Both have been very good vehicles to me, no complaints, just need to down size. The Edge Sport caught my eye as soon as I seen it and knew I had to get one. Every vehicle I have owned in the past has had the "blacked" out look to it. It just makes practical sense for someone in my position ( paraplegic and full time wheelchair user) to get a car/truck like the Edge. It's easy to get in and out of, and it has all the "bling" I'm looking for. Since I drive with handcontrols, the my touch with voice activation will really be the answer for me.

Just want to find out how everybody else like there Edge and looking out for any and all bugs with this model. Being stranded and in a wheelchair sucks. I know it sucks for everyone, but trying to transfer in a tow truck from the chair, really does suck!!!! Just saying hi to everybody and look forward to share as much info as I can. My name is Terry and I come from the land of ice and snow........Minnesnowda.

Hi Terry, fellow northerner here. I had my Edge for most of the last winter, so I can say you will not regret your purchase when you need to get around in the snow. The traction control system + AWD in these vehicles is outstanding. It handled 12+ inches of snow without breaking a sweat and was also very good in that really slippery brown slushy stuff around town.

From what I've read the overall reliability of these vehicles is very good, only some minor issues reported here and there with front end alignments and a couple transfer case / transmission problems. The only thing to really worry about is the MyFord Touch system, although as of right now it seems like Ford is at least trying to address the problems. We'll see how it ends up, I guess. Mine is going into the dealer tomorrow morning to get the latest v2.8 upgrade since my phone completely stopped connecting a couple weeks ago... again.

Overall I really like this vehicle and once the MFT software gets fixed (anytime now Ford, we're all anxiously waiting...), I will be even more happy!

Edited by mrdave

Well everyone, went to my local dealer to test drive the Edge, doesn't look like it's going to work for me. Getting in to the vehicle is going to be an accessibility issue. The doors don't open wide enough for me to grab my wheelchair and break it down to get it inside the cab with me. My 6'2" frame needs a little more room than what the Edge has to offer. It just so happened the new Explorer was another vehicle on my wish list and I had alot better results getting in and out. It's to bad it didn't work out with the Edge but being in a wheelchair, it's frustrating not being able to get into certain vehicles. But on the other hand, at least I can still drive most vehicles with simple handcontrols. Guess I'll be hopping over to the Explorer page now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well everyone, went to my local dealer to test drive the Edge, doesn't look like it's going to work for me. Getting in to the vehicle is going to be an accessibility issue. The doors don't open wide enough for me to grab my wheelchair and break it down to get it inside the cab with me. My 6'2" frame needs a little more room than what the Edge has to offer. It just so happened the new Explorer was another vehicle on my wish list and I had alot better results getting in and out. It's to bad it didn't work out with the Edge but being in a wheelchair, it's frustrating not being able to get into certain vehicles. But on the other hand, at least I can still drive most vehicles with simple handcontrols. Guess I'll be hopping over to the Explorer page now.

Congrats on the new vehicle, I have one on order and hoping middle of July delivery.

Congratulations on your choice. My wife and I love out 2011 Ford Edge sport. We have just passed the 3500 mile mark and the gas mileage is way better than our old Tahoe. The MyTouch is slow to respond at times, but it soon comes around. We have only had a few issues as of yet and that was with the high beam switch burning out, and with a screw through the sidewall. The dealer took care of both issues for us. Replaced both rear tires (something to do with burning up the rear end if the tires aren't the same) and replaced the high beam switch.

Enjoy your new ride!

Wow, I guess I should have payed better attention to the date! Sorry to hear that you couldn't enjoy an edge. At least you are still in a Ford! Congrats on the explorer instead!

Edited by MZotti