Attaching license plate to 2012

Detroit Mustang

Anyone else annoyed that the 2012 (at least the hatchback, maybe both) only has 2 screws to attach the license plate?

The bottom 2 license plate holes sit on rubber bumpers.... however, if you use a license plate frame, it wobbles and will probably make a stupid sound when you hit bumps.

Any solutions? Looks like bumper holes are round and screwmate holes are square so I dont think I can just get 2 more screwmates and tighten this baby down.

Anyone else annoyed that the 2012 (at least the hatchback, maybe both) only has 2 screws to attach the license plate?

The bottom 2 license plate holes sit on rubber bumpers.... however, if you use a license plate frame, it wobbles and will probably make a stupid sound when you hit bumps.

Any solutions? Looks like bumper holes are round and screwmate holes are square so I dont think I can just get 2 more screwmates and tighten this baby down.

I also don't like the rear license plate set up. I can't use a chrome holder I have and the bottom of the plate hangs below the flat portion of the rear hatch. If your not careful, you can slice your finger drying off the back of the car after a wash.

This is the plate frame I've used on several vehicles, including my LS and the Focus. I prefer no wording on the frame. The two-hole wide bottom frame has tabs on the bottom of the back to hold the plate and the shield in place and to prevent rattling.

Griot's Garage stainless steel plate frames

AND Made in the USA!

Very nice thanks!!.... which style and finish did you put on your Focus?

I am thinking polished stainless steel to match the emblems (Focus, Titanium), rather than black to try to match the car.

This is the plate frame I've used on several vehicles, including my LS and the Focus. I prefer no wording on the frame. The two-hole wide bottom frame has tabs on the bottom of the back to hold the plate and the shield in place and to prevent rattling.

Griot's Garage stainless steel plate frames

mrgdr57, can you post a pic. I curious how it looks since the bottom of the plate hangs below the flat portion of the hatch. I'm also interested in a polished stainless but want an idea how it looks before shelling out $34.99. Thanks.

AND Made in the USA!

Very nice thanks!!.... which style and finish did you put on your Focus?

I am thinking polished stainless steel to match the emblems (Focus, Titanium), rather than black to try to match the car.

Two-hole, wide bottom in matte black. I would have preferred gloss black to match the piano black front trim and B-pillar trim. I'm not a chrome person but I like your tie to the chrome emblem idea.

From Focus">

Here you go:

Link to photos post

Thanks, looks good. I'm getting the chrome wide bottom. I saw those pics when you first posted them. Your car looks great. I waxed mine yesterday for the first time and the silver really sparkles, too bad when I was at the golf course today it drizzled for about 10 minutes. Now I have to wash mine again this afternoon.

Edit: Last minute substitution. I went with the two hole cut corners. The month and year stickers go in the lower corners on MN plates. I don't want any hassles from Johnny Law claiming they are partially covered.

Edited by transitman

Cool, so, no rattle when you slam the hatch closed?

I test mounted the frame with a license plate and the polycarbonate cover. There is no rattle, per se. You can hear a difference between no attachments and with a plate/cover/frame attached. The bottom holes in the plate align with the nipples and the nipples contact the inside of the frame so consequently there is a sound generated by the impact and rebound of the frame against the nipples. However, there is no metallic rattle or vibration. You might even be able to tune out some of the rebound by either tightening the frame's lower tabs and/or inserting a small square of velcro loop inside the frame where the nipples make contact.

I test mounted the frame with a license plate and the polycarbonate cover. There is no rattle, per se. You can hear a difference between no attachments and with a plate/cover/frame attached. The bottom holes in the plate align with the nipples and the nipples contact the inside of the frame so consequently there is a sound generated by the impact and rebound of the frame against the nipples. However, there is no metallic rattle or vibration. You might even be able to tune out some of the rebound by either tightening the frame's lower tabs and/or inserting a small square of velcro loop inside the frame where the nipples make contact.

Excellent, thanks for that street report... I have now ordered mine.

Received my Griot's Garage frame today and its ultra quality.

Also, they shipped 2 day instead of 5-10, and still for free.

License plate frame makes zero sound when i slam the hatch down.

Yay! Thanks, mrgdr57!

Also ordered their tire cleaning kit since my black wheels and black car make less than perfect tires stand out...

Yay! Thanks, mrgdr57!

Also ordered their tire cleaning kit since my black wheels and black car make less than perfect tires stand out...

Mine arrived today too. Did you use the rubber spacers and did you leave in or remove the nipples? I used the spacers and left in the nips. I also had to change the screws to some stainless I had around, the caps wouldn't fit over the galvanized screws. Mine rattles a little when I close the hatch, no biggie. It looks good. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Yay! Thanks, mrgdr57!

You're welcome! Speaking of tires/wheels. I just started using some products from Surf City Garage that I think are outstanding. Beyond Steel Wheel Cleaner (works on tires too) and Beyond Black Tire Pro. They work exactly as described. If you can find the 24 oz. sprays at a local retailer, you can then order 2 L refills directly from SCG and save $$$.

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/detail1.php?product_id=52

Mine arrived today too. Did you use the rubber spacers and did you leave in or remove the nipples? I used the spacers and left in the nips. I also had to change the screws to some stainless I had around, the caps wouldn't fit over the galvanized screws. Mine rattles a little when I close the hatch, no biggie. It looks good. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

No to spacers and yes to nips.... cranked down a bit on the bolts, but no worries on cracking the glass or anything... and zero rattling.

Yeah, had to use different screws to get the caps on, but looks good... almost too good, heh.