Summer Tires

Focusing

I'm thinking about a Titanium Hatch and might be adding the handling package, but this forces the owner into "Summer Tires".

After reading some info at a dealership, Ford doesn't recommend using these tires when the air temp drops below 40 degrees!

When ordering, can you over-ride those summer tires and get all-season tires?

I won't get this package if I'm forced to buy a second set of tires in 5 months, and then have to swap those tires every 6 months.

Those that do have the handling package, are you happy with your choice?

With the roads we have around here, I'm not looking to add an uncomfortable ride to a new car.

Does the suspension change make for a jarring ride?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Focusing

I'm thinking about a Titanium Hatch and might be adding the handling package, but this forces the owner into "Summer Tires".

After reading some info at a dealership, Ford doesn't recommend using these tires when the air temp drops below 40 degrees!

When ordering, can you over-ride those summer tires and get all-season tires?

I won't get a this package if I'm forced to buy a second set of tires in 5 months, and then have to swap those tires every 6 months.

Those that do have the handling package, are you happy with your choice?

With the roads we have around here, I'm not looking to add an uncomfortable ride to a new car.

Does the suspension change make for a jarring ride?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Any time the air temperature drops below 40 degrees, summer tires become less effective. It's no different if summer tires are on a Ford or Toyota or BMW.

As far as I know, you're stuck in the tire choice that's offered. Maybe your dealer could work out something where they swap your tires for an all-season tire (provided there is one in that size).

I will never go back to using all-season tires all year 'round. I've been using dedicated snow tires in the winter for many years, through my last three daily drivers. Snow tires are MUCH safer in snow and ice than any all-season tire you can buy. I have gone with all-seasons for summer-only use sometimes just to get a higher tread wear rating, though. For most people's needs, an all-season tire biased toward dry and wet weather will be more than good enough for the type of driving they (and I) do. Also, Discount Tire, where I buy all my tires, changes them over for free. I just have to lug them out there. I make an appointment and it's easy. I use to change them myself, but with the hassles of getting the winter wheels off with all the salt and everything on them, it was easier and quicker to just take them to Discount Tire to have it done. It's well worth the extra grip in the winter.

Traction control doesn't help in braking, or in turning. Stability control can help with keeping the car stable during turns, but it still can't perform magic, and won't shorten braking distances like aggressive snow tires will. Personally, I'm all for states with lots of snow, like Michigan, passing a law *requiring* snow tires in winter months. Drivers here are clueless in winter (well, they're clueless year 'round, but the consequences are worse and more likely to happen in snow and ice), and I don't appreciate sharing the roads with them.

• Like 1

Traction certainly does help in stopping and turning by keeping the tires rolling so you will still have control . Especially with a FWD car asking the front tires to drive and steer is a receipe for trouble, you loose traction and you have lost all control.

The biggest advantage to a pure snow tire is added traction on ice, there is not much difference between an all-season and a snow tire in snow.

I have been driving in New England winters for 40 years and adjust my speed and following distance to the conditions. I have had only one instance back when I was a teen and spun out in a corner and got stuck in a snow bank. The folks that scare me are the ones running around with bald tires in snowy and icey conditions. I don't think legislating snow tires will help with the clueless folks you meet on the road.

The biggest advantage to a pure snow tire is added traction on ice, there is not much difference between an all-season and a snow tire in snow.

Winter tires use a different rubber compound than all season or summer tires giving better traction in extreme cold.