North American Car Of The Year

I see that both Fusion and Explorer are nominees for the "NORTH AMERICAN CAR OF THE YEAR" award. I like both and own a Mountaineer. That being said..c'mon...what the heck kinda award is that. At he risk of pissing off BOTH Ford enthusiasts AND feminists....I would describe the award as follows:

It's the same thing as a beauty contest for women weighing over 300 pounds. Yeah, someone is crowned beauty queen, but would you really wanna see her in Playboy? I suspect this is some thing cooked up by GM and Ford to help with the fact that they rarely win the real car awards.

C'mon... <_<

I see that both Fusion and Explorer are nominees for the "NORTH AMERICAN CAR OF THE YEAR" award. I like both and own a Mountaineer. That being said..c'mon...what the heck kinda award is that. At he risk of pissing off BOTH Ford enthusiasts AND feminists....I would describe the award as follows:

It's the same thing as a beauty contest for women weighing over 300 pounds. Yeah, someone is crowned beauty queen, but would you really wanna see her in Playboy? I suspect this is some thing cooked up by GM and Ford to help with the fact that they rarely win the real car awards.

C'mon... <_<

Actually, NA Car and Truck of the Year awards should be considered the most prestigious.

Unlike magazine awards that tend to go to who advertises the most, these are voted on by a wide group of automotive journalists using secret ballots.

And it isn't a domestic-only game. If memory serves, the Mini and the Altima both won car of the year awards at one point or another. And the Honda Ridgeline is going to be stiff competition this year.

Sure, it's not selling well, but it's a brand-new take on what a truck should be while the Explorer is simply the best and most refined version of what people expect out of a mid-sized SUV.

I don't think the Xterra has a shot, but who knows.

Bob

Actually, NA Car and Truck of the Year awards should be considered the most prestigious.

Unlike magazine awards that tend to go to who advertises the most, these are voted on by a wide group of automotive journalists using secret ballots.

And it isn't a domestic-only game. If memory serves, the Mini and the Altima both won car of the year awards at one point or another. And the Honda Ridgeline is going to be stiff competition this year.

Sure, it's not selling well, but it's a brand-new take on what a truck should be while the Explorer is simply the best and most refined version of what people expect out of a mid-sized SUV.

I don't think the Xterra has a shot, but who knows.

Bob

Well, if the Ridgeline is selling so poorly, that would indicate to me that it is more a brand-new take on what a truck SHOULDN'T be. :lol: