RANGER WITH A DIESEL ????

gafry

• 4 weeks later...

they do - but they do not meet US emissions ..

Diesels are coming - there is a quiet race among all the major manufacturers to bring Light Duty truck diesels as well as passenger car diesels to the US and dethrone Toyota in the MPG came.

However because of the new emission standards that go into effect for 07 models and will only be getting stricter up to 2010, the manufacturers have a lot of work left to do before they have diesels ready for US market.

Ford is not asleep - it is one of the manufacturers with thebest plan for their diesels - ETA is unknown however.

Igor

they do - but they do not meet US emissions ..

Diesels are coming - there is a quiet race among all the major manufacturers to bring Light Duty truck diesels as well as passenger car diesels to the US and dethrone Toyota in the MPG came.

However because of the new emission standards that go into effect for 07 models and will only be getting stricter up to 2010, the manufacturers have a lot of work left to do before they have diesels ready for US market.

Ford is not asleep - it is one of the manufacturers with thebest plan for their diesels - ETA is unknown however.

Igor

Diesels are coming? Help me understand the diesels VW and Mercades have been selling for years in the US. I'm not a motor head but to some extent, isn't the major difference in drivetranes between a truck and car in the transmission and gear ratio? The 4.6 in my F-150 is the same 4.6 in a Crowne Vic/Mustang, 4.0 in the Ranger the same 4.0 in the Mustang? I beleive the "can do" is there but the "want to" is lacking. When FoMoCo is discontinueing Focus Wagons, Rangers and FreeStars and launching Extended Expeditions and SUVS, somebody's sleeping! The 3 sisters made in Mexico isn't enough. Hybrids aren't proven and expensive let alone always available. :shrug: I don't know...just ask'n

Diesels are coming? Help me understand the diesels VW and Mercades have been selling for years in the US. I'm not a motor head but to some extent, isn't the major difference in drivetranes between a truck and car in the transmission and gear ratio? The 4.6 in my F-150 is the same 4.6 in a Crowne Vic/Mustang, 4.0 in the Ranger the same 4.0 in the Mustang? I beleive the "can do" is there but the "want to" is lacking. When FoMoCo is discontinueing Focus Wagons, Rangers and FreeStars and launching Extended Expeditions and SUVS, somebody's sleeping! The 3 sisters made in Mexico isn't enough. Hybrids aren't proven and expensive let alone always available. :shrug: I don't know...just ask'n

VW has stopped selling diesels so that they can meet the new requirements. Everyone is having a problem getting their diesels "certified". I do believe that the big 3 have gotten their 3/4 ton+ diesel engines certified, but all the rest have pulled their diesel lines - VW and Jeep's Liberty included.

I read where the London Taxicabs use a 2.4 L Diesel that is made in America, then shipped to England and installed in the cabs. Why can't Ford take that engine, since it's already here, and install it in the Ranger/Mazda B-Series, Focus, Escape/Mariner, and Fusion/Milan? Seems as though they are missing a "gold mine" unless there are emissions problems with the engine.

Remember when VW made the Rabbit Diesel back in the 80's? 60-80MPG and reliable. You would think that with modern technology, a company can make a cleaner Diesel with comparable MPG.

That's what I'm saying!

I'd like to see a turbo-diesel in a Ranger (like Banks says, "There's no excuse for a naturally aspirated diesel"). It would have great torque, and fuel economy. Not only that, but the ability to run bio-deisel. Gotta love it.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Right now I am working on a 1986 Ranger with a 2.3L Turbo Diesel. The customer runs cooking oil in it and it smells like French Fries when it's running.

Sweet! Yeah, I heard that it smells like french fries when it runs. Is that because he's using reclaimed (used) cooking oil? You did mention it was cooking oil, but I wasn't sure whether it was new or used. Most likely, it's reclaimed oil.

Yep -- I want one.

Joey

Let's go to Mexico!

As far as I know, the 2.8 is on its way out and the Argentinean Ranger now has and will only have a 3.0L common rail Euro III powerstroke engine good for 163 HP

Also, I think that it is now available in Mexico, only from Guatemala south...

Unfortunately it is not available with a gas engine and 4x4...

Edited by bolita

I still think the biggest issue is the diesel emissions stuff. Euro emissions is getting tougher and the US emissions are getting tougher. The Euro IV and V emission requirements almost eliminates the diesels overseas, but you know they will find a way to make those diesels meet the requirements. Overseas, about half or more of cars sold are diesels. Here in the US it is about 1%. I don't think us Americans are in the economical frame of mind, so small diesels aren't going to be a big seller - at least in the minds of the Big 3 corporate folks. They would rather sell the big profit vehicles, rather than a low profit ranger anything. So the Big 3 aren't into helping us, but helping themselves. But isn't that the name of the game - big $$$ and making the stockholders happy? (How happy are they now?)

The big problem with the Big 3 that I see, is that they don't have the products to keep them afloat. Once the big profit items stop selling, they are forced with losses, plant shutdowns and layoffs. If they had a varied engine product line (for example), they could ramp up that production and at least minimize those losses. Having a CRD (common rail diesel) that could fit and be an option for many of the vehicle line, they could keep selling those vehicles. They could have a standard issue V6 diesel, for example, for anything from the ranger, F150, SportTrac, and other vehicles. That diesel could then be tuned for the vehicle it is in for reliablility of each drivetrain and components.

I think right now they are just waiting it out. I think they hope we all start buying 400hp vehicles again once the gas prices drop a few more cents. After all, a vehicle isn't about transportation, it's about flaunting status and impressing the neighbors, right?

So in conclusion: They can build a 4 door diesel Ranger if they wanted to. It's there and they are doing it. Just not here in the US. Somebody did a Six Sigma project and figured that there wasn't enough profit in building them for the American market, I suppose. So we are stuck wishing in one hand... I am staying with my paid for '96 F250 Powerstroke that gets 18 mpg, and my paid for '99 Chevy Metro (50+ mpg). Got cash in hand ready to spend and nothing on the market that interests me. I'd really like to buy a Ranger, but economically (and doing the math), my fuel economy will remain the same, my insurance would go up, and I'd have a vehicle payment to boot. It's funny how a 4.0L Ranger gets the same fuel economy as an F250 7.3L diesel!

I'm done now.