2007 Holden Commodore

BORG

I must have missed something. Everyone is talking about this being a "me too" car and how it is playing catch up to the Falcon. There was even someone that said it "wasn't a threat" to the Falcon.

Umm...first line of the article, folks...

"Holden today unveiled the all-new Holden Commodore range, designed and engineered to extend a decade-long record as Australia's best selling car."

I am one of those people.

The reason is mainly because Holden are regarded as being the leaders, the first to market with design and features that make life tough for ford to follow. VE hasn’t really done that to the degree I was expecting but there are reasons for that, that GM are slowly getting around to explaining.

While they are the large car market leader they also make mistakes that cause discounting to sell that volume. Ford while trailing Holden to introduce an IRS when they did, it is generally been accepted that the Ford design is technically superior, at least in theory.

Holden still have an IRS and across the range, something Ford are still yet to achieve. To the market its hard to accept that one IRS is better then the other and if they are why pay for the weight penalty just for the privilege of saying my car has a better suspension.

The first generation which I regard as the best was fitted to some models in 98. In 2002 it was replaced with what is known as control blade. Holden improved on their system but the VE introduces a significant step up for them. Will it be better then what the Ford system is, that remains to be seen but it would be surprising if it were to blow us away.

In terms of quality yes VE should be well ahead of BF and people will appreciate and pay for it.

We know Ford have mono tubes ready to go so even if VE does have a slight advantage it most likely won’t be for very long.

When I said what I did I hadn’t read everything that has been said by Holden. As it turns out the GM agrees with my statements. The SWB cars are innovative by design. “We concentrated on the LWB cars†HSV have been left to show the way redefine the Aussie SWB models.

The appearance while hugely acceptable just has a confused look. It can look narrow and high while the side profile especially when these Photoshop wizards get hold of it looks stunning. Again the reason is Holden wont bee keeping this design for as long as they have previously done. When I said I was disappointed I was assuming it had a life cycle similar to what had gone before.

No split fold rear seat yet they said a design brief was to be as flexible as possible. No AC as standard No full sized wheel, interior themes that have mirrored Fords later designs and theories. That’s has happened because both companies for this market look to the same benchmarks.

It’s not the looking into the future some would have hoped but at the same time detractors like me acknowledge that is a safe design that won’t offend

Here we go people...just as i suspected

Most of the increases came with the 6spd auto! sorry but compare that to fuel comsumption drops with falcons 6spd auto in 6cyl and v8s these figures are average at best...

ford fairmont ghia kills holdens calais 11.3l vers 10.2l

and before people sing the praises of holden being able to drop the fuel use on tha base omega, with a weight increase, just remember the falcon has more power and still weighs a little more...and then theres talk ford will will working on reducing the fuel use even more when the BF11 comes out in a few months...

Omega 180kW V6 four-speed auto: 10.9L/100km (VZ 172kW Executive: 11.0)

Berlina 180kW V6 four-speed auto: 10.9L/100km (VZ 172kW Berlina: 11.0)

Berlina 270kW V8 six-speed auto: 14.3L/100km (VZ 260kW Berlina: 14.0)

SV6 195kW V6 six-speed manual: 11.0L/100km (VZ 190kW SV6: 11.4)

SV6 195kW V6 five-speed auto: 11.3L/100km (VZ 190kW SV6: 11.4)

SS 270kW six-speed manual: 14.4L/100km (VZ 260kW SS: 14.6)

SS 270kW six-speed auto: 14.3L/100km (VZ 260kW SS: 14.0)

SS V 270kW six-speed manual: 14.4L/100km (new variant)

SS V 270kW six-speed auto: 14.3L/100km (new variant)

Calais 195kW V6 five-speed auto: 11.3L/100km (VZ 190kW Calais: 11.4)

Calais 270kW six-speed auto: 14.3L/100km (VZ 260kW Calais: 14.0)

Calais V 195kW V6 five-speed auto: 11.3L/100km (new variant)

Calais V 270kW six-speed auto: 14.3L/100km (new variant)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, a Hyundai the combination of rear drive, triple wishbone front suspension, five link rear suspension, and an optional 400hp V8. :finger:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...A2571BE000EE2C1

And at current exchange rates, it costs the same, comparative trim for trim, as an Impala.

Is everyone so concerned about the exterior that they forget about what's underneath? Have we really returned to the Fifties?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the local press is starting to comment on the fact that the base commodores and the Sv6 competitor to the falcon xr6, aren't as smooth, powerful or as economical as the base and 6cyl sports falcons...the holden V8 beat the Fords for power and speed, but still not consumption...

1 billion spent...and no comprehensive beating...hmmm

interesting to see how the Orion 08 falcon will do...my bet, it could give the commodore a kicking...the basics are in place, all thats needed is further refinement.

Edited by fordforever96