1979 F350 460 carb question

sanders

I'm new to the forum and hope I'm asking this question in the right place. I've recently purchased a 1979 1 ton with a 460 engine. It has a motorcraft 4 brl carb. I'm looking to get the carb replaced with a rebuilt as the truck sat up for 7 years before I found it. My chilton manual and all the carb rebuild sites I've been to show a holley carb came with this year and size engine. The truck runs but has issues. Alot of the emission stuff has been removed or bypassed. I'm wondering what everyones opinions are with regard to the replacement carb issue ( go back with the motorcraft or go holley) and the emissions issue. My thinking is the truck won't ever run right unless the emission parts are all replaced and hooked back up ( the distributor has a vacum advance thats a part of the emissions from what I gather)...this is my first go with this engine and I'd appreciate any thoughts the forum might have....regards sanders

I'm a big fan of the 70's Ford trucks with 460's. I had a 77 E250 with a 460 in high school and my brother had a 78 F150 with a 460 as well. They were fun.

Are you trying to restore this truck or just make it something fun to drive? If it were mine, I would take off all the emissions stuff and go all aftermarket on it (carb, intake, heads, cam, headers, etc.). You don't want 70's technology on it, bring it up to date.

I bought the truck a year or so back , in anticipation of buying a tractor , to use as a puller unit should the need arise. It's a clean truck with 66000 miles on it. I bought the truck knowing it had sat up and it would need some attention. I'm not looking to restore the truck but want it to run when I turn the key for a local outing. I'm inclind to leave the emmission stuff off and can purchase a carb without the emmission ports in the barrels and then replace the distributor with one not regulated by the vacum?...tune it and call it a day?.....or will other issues be created in doing so?.......thoughts? san

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the truck a year or so back , in anticipation of buying a tractor , to use as a puller unit should the need arise. It's a clean truck with 66000 miles on it. I bought the truck knowing it had sat up and it would need some attention. I'm not looking to restore the truck but want it to run when I turn the key for a local outing. I'm inclind to leave the emmission stuff off and can purchase a carb without the emmission ports in the barrels and then replace the distributor with one not regulated by the vacum?...tune it and call it a day?.....or will other issues be created in doing so?.......thoughts? san

If it were mine, I'd leave the vacuum advance, (ported carb) remove all other emission stuff. Trying to remember what all they had on back then? EGR valve was a recent addition in 79 I'd just remove it cap it. Catalytic converter replace with straight pipe if it has converter. 79 era carb had caps on idle mixture screws I'd make sure mixture screws were adjustable. 460's were notorious for cracked Exhaust manifolds I'd check those as well. Choke .... make sure your choke is functioning for cold starts. Vacuum advance is only going to function 1500 - 2000 rpm after that centrifugal advance (mechanical weights) in distributor takes over. As long as no flat spots at higher RPM, distributor should be good. New cap, wires, rotor, PCV, plugs.... should run like rapped ape....... My 2 cents