Need information/help on the Surge

HoustonPerson

Need help with surging problem

My truck has the intermittent surging issue. I understand there are a TSB 12-2-10 (dated 2/15/2012) and an OASIS message #4204 (dated ??) that may address the issue?

With the posting of “incomplete” information on the net, the two items above appear to be in some conflict?

But there is no way for me to tell without the actual documents. Can someone please email those to me?

Also, when the engine does have these periods of fits (surging), why can’t this be captured by SYNC Vehicle Health Report so Ford has a record of it and they can see firsthand what is going on? It is easy enough for me to send a “Vehicle Health” while the truck is having this “surging fit”.

12-2-10 3.5L GTDI CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2012

Publication Date: February 15, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 F-150

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F150 vehicles built on or before 2/7/2012 and equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with various diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) and driveability concerns.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The calibration update contains improvement actions and enhancements to address the following conditions:

Intermittent engine surge during moderate to light loads at cruise.

Enhancements to misfire monitor detection.

Powertrain control module (PCM) DTC P0430 and/or P0096.

NOTE: INSURE ALL HARD FAULT POWERTRAIN DTCS ARE ADDRESSED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE CALIBRATION UPDATE.

If the vehicle exhibits DTC P0430 replace the left bank catalytic converter. Refer to WSM section 309-00. Proceed to Step 2.

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 77A.03A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.1A DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

BL3Z-5E212-E Converter Assy

W520514-S440 Nuts

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.