2012 GT making nasty noise from engine area

Vista Blur

I'm posting this here hoping that someone from Ford actually gives a damn about its loyal customers. Since taking delivery last spring on my 2012 GT (ordered on xplan btw) the car has been making a nasty grinding noise coming from the engine area. I have lived with this for long enough and been more then patient (I feel). I have spent a good chunk of time driving in a loner Fusion all while the dealer keeps my car for days at a time only to then tell me they can't verify the concern. Here is an audio clip of the noise (26 second mark). http://www.mediafire.com/?mt1jhd39k8b8vba

The thing is the dealer can verify the concern as I have been right there and replicated the issue for them twice, but they told me they can't find it and to bring it back when it gets worse (REALLY!?). The first time I showed them what was wrong one of the Techs with me replied and I quote "holy f*** what the hell was that". A brand new car should not be making this kind of noise off the assembly line, and I should not have to wait this long (almost a year) for a resolution. After repeated attempts to get this fixed I have been told its something particular to my car and since Ford Hotline has no direction for the dealer to go that I am stuck with the car. The noise comes from running the car and then letting it sit for about 20 min or more, then restart the car and as the engine settles into idle the noise will be there. Thing is when I ran the car on 86 the noise was louder, after switching to 93 the noise got softer. Also the length of the noise varies depending on how long it sits and if you don't let the car idle and shift from park to drive and then back to park the noise gets really loud.

My family has been buying Fords since the early 70's, my fathers first new vehicle was a Ford as was mine (an 06 Mustang) I was driven home in a Lincoln after I was born as was my younger brother. My father, grandfather, grandmother, all have owned countless Lincoln and Mercury cars over the years. My brother has had two Focuses, my mother two Edges, I have had three Mustangs, and this is just since 2006 so its safe to say I love my Fords. So why is it that no one wants to help make this right? The Ford CSM I spoke to is proving difficult to get in touch with and my dealer has washed their hands of this because in their words "the noise does not last long enough to locate". I thought better of Ford and at this point I want the car bought back so I can get a properly built 2013 GT, if Ford does not care about me then I will get rid of this car and never buy a Ford again. I really hate to be this way but after at least 4 trips (could be 6 by now) to the dealer, about a month total in a loaner car and the embarrassment of having a new car that sounds like a chainsaw cutting through a loose metal pipe everyday (my co workers sure as heck are not going to be buying a Ford after hearing this noise) I have had it. If Ford does not make this right for me, I will take my business elsewhere.

Edited by Vista Blur

Can't load the audio on this PC to hear, but if changing the octane affects the sound, then it sounds like some sort of timing or spark issue. Why would you ever run 86 octane in any vehicle though? I wouldn't even put that in a chainsaw.

Its what the dealer put in for my first tank of gas when I took delivery, I switched it after that. Are you having an issue with the sound file? It should be a basic mp3 compatible with any music player (Windows Media Player should be more then sufficient)

Edited by Vista Blur

Its what the dealer put in for my first tank of gas when I took delivery. Are you having an issue with the sound file? It should be a basic mp3 compatible with any music player (Windows Media Player should be more then sufficient)

No, I'm just in the office and have my PC on mute. ;)

Shame on the dealer for putting that crud gas in a Mustang.

No, I'm just in the office and have my PC on mute. ;)

Shame on the dealer for putting that crud gas in a Mustang.

Oh OK, yeah I know how work is, yeah but from what I am told the dealers put in 86 even for new GT500's as their first tank of gas.

I am just hoping Ford cares enough to help me out here. No one should get to this point, ever; waiting 6 months for a major problem that every vehicle has is one thing but waiting a year for a problem that no one else has without resolution is another.

Edited by Vista Blur

Oh OK, yeah I know how work is, yeah but from what I am told the dealers put in 86 even for new GT500's as their first tank of gas.

I am just hoping Ford cares enough to help me out here. No one should get to this point, ever; waiting 6 months for a major problem that every vehicle has is one thing but waiting a year for a problem that no one else has without resolution is another.

Agreed. Have you tried taking it to an independent shop to see if they can diagnose it?

Agreed. Have you tried taking it to an independent shop to see if they can diagnose it?

I have thought about it but but no I have not. the car is under a year old and only has 3,300k on the odo and I don't want anyone, Ford included, to be able to pull the "warranty void" card if they even suspect an independent shop touched it. Besides those are just as hard to find one you can trust.

Edited by Vista Blur

I have thought about it but but no I have not. the car is under a year old and only has 3,300k on the odo and I don't want anyone, Ford included, to be able to pull the "warranty void" card if they even suspect an independent shop touched it. Besides those are just as hard to find one you can trust.

Another route you could take would be to try a different Ford dealer if you have only been dealing with the one.

Another route you could take would be to try a different Ford dealer if you have only been dealing with the one.

True, but in my area there are only two Ford dealerships and the other I don't have much faith in as they proved pretty useless and rude to me when I had my 2006 Mustang

True, but in my area there are only two Ford dealerships and the other I don't have much faith in as they proved pretty useless and rude to me when I had my 2006 Mustang

Aftermarket exhaust? I would bet a good sum of money that the sound is an exhaust rattle... Cat backs with clamps? Did you install? It is hard to get the clamps on correctly and tight, without dropping a good portion of the exhaust.

• 1 month later...