MAXIMUM PAYLOAD WEIGHT RATINGS Help!

hindy

Can someone please help me understand the Max GVWR ratings? I’m looking into getting a Super Duty and would like to make most educated decision on what vehicle to get. After building a truck on the Ford Website, there was an option for a 10,000 GVWR. After trying to look up what this actually means, I found it as an option to keep the truck at 10,000 GVWR for cheaper vehicle registration purposes and it doesn’t actually mean the truck is not capable of going above the 10,000 GVWR limit. If I’m wrong, please correct me on this assumption.

The attached link (http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_SuperDuty_Specs.pdf ) has GVWR rating on the F-350 ranging from 10,000 up to 11,500. If one were to select the 11,300 GVWR option over the 10,000 option, what would be added to the truck for the increased capability and why does the Ford Website only have 10,000 GVWR listed as an option?

I hope I explained myself and didn’t confuse anyone. Thank you in advance for your time and effort!!!

To calculate the maximum payload , you have to take the GVWR less the base curb weight of the truck, example

crew cab 4x2 172.4 inch 6.7 l diesel GVWR 11500, base curb weight 7332lbs: maximum payload 4260lbs

regular cab 4x2 137 inch 6.2 l gas GVWR 10500, base curb weight 6019lbs: maximum payload 4630lbs

Generally speaking to increase GVWR you increase the suspension load capacity and possibly the tires too. The difference between the GVWR and curb weight gives you the max payload. If you can decrease curb weight you can increase payload (keeping GVWR the same).

You can always exceed the factory rating a little but you run the risk of adverse handling at least and if you do it too often or go too far over you could damage something.