Test Drove a Focus ST Today

I have a new driver coming up in the house and I've been trying to decide which way to go with him. The thought today was I was going to trade in my '05 Mustang GT on a '13 Focus ST. So I took the car over there and tested this baby. There were two things stopping me from doing this. First, the idea of having a third car payment just makes my stomach turn. The second was the thought of being without the Mustang. Don't get me wrong, the ST is an awesome little car. I will go into that more below but not sure I'd forgive myself for giving it up.

So the Focus ST. This car is what I would call "The Glove" of the Ford lineup. This car just fits you like a glove. You put IT ON as opposed to getting in it. Tight little thing with a supurb chassis. That little turbo whir in the background, letting you always know its out there ready to help when you need it. The ST in a straight line feels about as fast as my '05. And the thing is, it does it with little or no drama. Where the Mustang would spin tires, yell, scream and kick its heels, the Focus just bears down and goes. That third gear is CRIMINAL. You can go ultra-illegal speeds very rapidly in third. Shifter/trans/clutch setup is super smooth and buttery. It just begs to be played with. Love the car and wish I had some extra cash. At the end of the day, the grim reality of 3 car payments and the thought of parting with my Mustang won out. No ST for me right now. Who knows in the future though.

• Like 1

Nice review. I've contemplated the ST but can't bring myself to get totally on board. I'm looking to replace my 03 Lincoln LS early in the year and I'm really gravitating towards the new MKZ. To those who think it's strange to cross shop those two cars, I was in the exact same position in 03 cross shopping the LS or the SVT Focus. I turn 50 a little later this year but still appreciate a performance daily driver and the LS served that role for me nicely. I know the "Z" won't deliver that same horse power performance by today's standards but I've really been spoiled by the great ride and I've been pampered by the luxury.

• 2 weeks later...