Citroën C4 Picasso

NLPRacing

Well, the Tempo got higher reviews then both Aries and Corsica, and the Aries kept the blocky design instead of the aerodynamic design the Tempo and Corsica had.

Also, the Tempo was faster, stronger and had more options and features then the stupid Corsuca and ugly Aries.

Hundreds of AWD and V6 Tempos were made, I have one! IDIOT! I have an AWD Tempo, standard AWD (I just got off the phone with the previous owner who says he did not pay a dime for it). Also, AWD was standard on Tempo AWD models, I mean they had a seperate trim level badged as "Tempo AWD". You obviously know nothing about Tempos, hell you got the amount of years wrong! It had a run of just 10 years, with 3 million or more sold, outselling full automakers like Kia Motors.

I found the Villager, and the GM Wedge Trio ugliest. But I find minivans in general ugly, except Ford's minivans and the third generation Caravan. Dodge, Honda and Nissan have Ford beat (but not for looks, Ford has the best looks), but not Hyundai or Kia. The Chevrolet Uplander got an "Acceptable" safety rating, The Caravan got acceptable, Toyota's Sienna received an "excellent, 4-star rating" and the only minivans to get five stars in every catagory were the Honda Oddyssey and Ford Freestar. Comparing the crappy storage bin in the Oddyssey that can only hold cans or trash, to the gigantic bin that can hold gallons of milk in the Freestar is unthinkable. The Freestar would be the leading van, but due to poor advertising and a simple look, it hasn't got the attention it deserves. The Caravan (copied off the Freestar) and Freestar are the only vans to offer a feature that allows you to fold the rear bench all the way to have a tailgate bench. And about the dash board mounted container, order the Freestar brochure. It came standard on Limited and optional on SEL.

Hundreds of AWD and V6 Tempos were made, I have one! IDIOT!

Well, that was unnecessary. Unless you're using "idiot" like Napoleon Dynamite, then use away.

Your profile shows you have 1989 Tempo. From memory, I remember the 1992 Topaz brochure when they went on and on about the new V6 power. But I don't have the brochure...so here is the information I can offer you, meager though it may be, 12+ years later:

"What's New for 1992

"V6 power becomes available but the four-wheel drive option departs."

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/ford/tempo/7468/review.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Tempo

http://www.ford-forums.com/Tempo/

So, all of the information points to no V6/AWD combos. Especially in 1989. I may be wrong, it's very possible, it's very hard to find information on nondescript vehicles 12 years out of production, but I'm standing by my assertation of no V6/AWD models until I see proof otherwise. Pretty sound reasoning, I'd have to say.

I have an AWD Tempo, standard AWD (I just got off the phone with the previous owner who says he did not pay a dime for it). Also, AWD was standard on Tempo AWD models, I mean they had a seperate trim level badged as "Tempo AWD".

Well thank you for proving my point. The previous owner bought the more expensive AWD trim level. Just like someone could have bought the more expensive Loyale AWD, Camry LE AWD, or 6000 SE AWD trim levels. We have two options, we can say Tempo had "standard" AWD on certain trim levels, the exact same way many of its competitors did or we can say the Tempo, like many of its competitors, had optional AWD. I really don't care which you choose, but you have to acknowledge that AWD was fairly common in this class at the time. And it was either optional on the Tempo like its competitors or it was standard on the Tempo like its competitors.

You obviously know nothing about Tempos, hell you got the amount of years wrong! It had a run of just 10 years, with 3 million or more sold, outselling full automakers like Kia Motors.

Count with me:

1st - 1984, 2nd - 85, 3rd - 86, 4th - 87, 5th - 88, 6th - 89, 7th - 90, 8th - 91, 9th - 92, 10th - 93, and 11th - 94. Hmm...I count ELEVEN. Not ten. Remember, when counting model years you can't just subtract, because the first year is inclusive.

<EDIT> Sales numbers for the Tempo: 2,935,161, Topaz: 969,414, Total: 3,904,575. I underestimated demand for the Tempo/Topaz. More than 500,000 sold in the first year! Stats compiled from http://www.tempotopaz.com/

And you are correct, the Ford Tempo outsold Kia in the American market EVERY year 1984-1994. No doubt about it.

I'll just summarize a response to your minivan comments: drive a Freestar and then an Odyssey. If you still think the Freestar is the better van, Ford will love you for it.

Scott

Edited by waymondospiff

1. I didn't say I had a V6, I said I had All Wheel Drive. Also, AWD was introduced as standard material in 1987, with a standard 2.3L SHO 4-cylinder engine. AWD trim levels were discontinued in 1991, and 1992 it became optional on the LX and GL trim levels, rebadged as LX-4WD and GL-4WD, instead of just AWD. 4WD lasted for one year, and in 1992 was phased out completely. The V6 was standard on the GLS, as the sport model. Options included special radio units, leather seats and a moon roof.

2. How is Tempo information hard to find? There is the articles on Wikipedia and Answers.com, there is TempoTopaz.com (millions of articles, this is a Tempo/Topaz club), there is hundreds of (positive) reviews from places like MSNAutos, InsideLine and Forbes.com.

3. On the Freestar, I have never had a Freestar. But our neighbors had a Windstar, best thing ever! It had everything, from DVD entertainment to power doors.

1. I didn't say I had a V6, I said I had All Wheel Drive.
Hundreds of AWD and V6 Tempos were made, I have one! IDIOT!
Gee. How could I have been mistaken. I wonder.

Also, AWD was introduced as standard material in 1987, with a standard 2.3L SHO 4-cylinder engine. AWD trim levels were discontinued in 1991, and 1992 it became optional on the LX and GL trim levels, rebadged as LX-4WD and GL-4WD, instead of just AWD. 4WD lasted for one year, and in 1992 was phased out completely. The V6 was standard on the GLS, as the sport model. Options included special radio units, leather seats and a moon roof.

From tempotopaz.com

AWD Available for 1992? The "year-by-year" for 1992:

"Also absent from the option list this year was the foul-weather Four Wheel Drive option."

On leather seats:

"The 1985 Tempo and the 1986 Topaz sales brochures both refer to an available leather interior option. However, these options were extremely rare and only available on the top of the line GLX (1985 Tempo) and LS (1985 and 1986 Topaz). Many government-commissioned Tempos were built with vinyl seats, which are easier to maintain. If any vehicles with leather interiors do exist outside of those mentioned above, they are likely third-party customizations."

Also, the 2.3L was known as either the 2.3L HSC "High Swirl Combustion" or the 2.3L HSO "High Specific Output." Not SHO, as was the special sport model of the Taurus.

Even though I "obviously know nothing about Tempos" I sure have corrected a lot of your errors.

Scott