Cabin preconditioning

cwp

I am stiil waiting to receive my Energi. The owners manual does not make clear the process for preconditioning the cabin while still pluged in without using MyFord Mobile. It does not make sense that this cannot be done manually using the onboard software and touch screens. Has anyone figured how to do this without causing the ICE to come on, and whether it can be done while maintaining a full charge. After reading the postings out there, people with the most recent build dates seem to think this is possible, but have not provided the specific steps involved. The information involving this topic is not very helpful. It seems most people are using trial and error to figure this out. The car definitely has an electric heater (page 117). Could someone who has figured this out please provide more specific information. This is a major process in making the car function efficiently, and using Myford Mobile has its own sofware problems.

• 3 months later...
For those interested in the solution to this question, it has been answered on fordcmaxenergiforum.com by GadgetGirl and Mikeb

The Energi can be manually preconditioned with both the 110V and 240V chargers. The engine can spin in fuel-cut to regulate charging with Motor/Generator 1 (MG1). There will no firing of the ignition and no tach reading, but the engine will sound like it is running. The MPG will not change because no gas is used in this mode. I like to use preconditioning of the cabin and battery prior to an extended EV trip. Together with hypermiling, I have documented a 33.3 mile range on a single full charge with the A/C set at 70F degrees: http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/gallery/image/273-photo-24/

To manually cool the cabin and battery while charging with the plug connected, get in the Energi, press the brake and push the start button. A warning will tell you to Unplug the vehicle. At this point, the A/C will run and cool the cabin and the battery with cabin A/C. When you get out of the Energi with the FOB, the horn will sound twice, but will remain charging with the A/C on till you press the start/stop button again. This also will run the A/C on plug-in energy and will reduce A/C draw when fully charged so you can save energy not having to run the A/C on high during your trip. If you do not precondition the cabin before a trip, the A/C will reduce your range trying to cool the hot soaked cabin.

Gary