2013 Escape 2.0 trouble code P0236

ScapeTom

I finally drew a trouble code and a check engine light after 3 or 4 instances of very rough running and an "engine fault" indication on the center screen. I started the Escape to drive to work this morning and it was running very rough. The "engine fault" indication was lit in the center screen, just as it had done a couple of times in the past.

My remedy has always been to stop, put the car in park, shut the engine off, open and then close the door, then restart. Every other time, it's been fine. This time, it ran rough again on the restart. And, the "check engine" light came on. So I repeated the shut down/restart procedure and it ran fine.

I was ready this time with my new Ultra-Gauge as well. It indicated that I had an engine trouble code stored, so after I got home from work, I pulled the code from the unit and cleared the check engine light.

The code is:

P0236, which is "Turbo Boost Sensor A Circuit Performance". It definitely runs poorly when the code is active, but runs fine and achieves normal mileage when it isn't in alarm, which is almost always.

Since it's quite new (6200 miles), I will take it to the dealer for diagnosis. But I wouldn't mind any insights that anybody might have as to the cause. I like to be informed as to what's ailing the car before I even let the pros have at it.

Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

This code means that the computer has seen a situation where there is not the correct amount of vacuum to regulate the turbocharger waste gate.Here is a description of the circuit.

The problem is usually a faulty vacuum pump,sensor or waste gate solenoid.

The powertrain control module (PCM) controls boost using the turbocharger waste gate solenoid. The solenoid is pulse width modulated (PWM). When the waste gate solenoid is not energized, the vacuum to the turbocharger waste gate solenoid is vented to atmosphere through the solenoid. As the pulse width is increased by the PCM, more vacuum is applied through the solenoid to the waste gate actuator. At idle a higher vacuum to the waste gate actuator helps keep the waste gate closed. At higher engine speeds the vacuum supplied by the solenoid is less, allowing the turbocharger boost pressure to overcome the waste gate actuator.

Thanks for the system details, GaryG.

The problem has only occurred on a cold startup so far. I'll keep a record of any further incidents so that I can give as much detail as possible to the dealer when I do take it in. That might help lead them to the correct diagnosis more quickly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...