4 door Ranger

bigblueford

I'd like to see a crew cab 4 door Ranger. The Ranger is way out of competition with the other guys as far as offering a 4 door small pickup. I guess that puts the Ranger in a class by itself!

The 4.0 should be freshened up for about 250+ horsepower to remain competitive, or replaced by the 4.6 V8.

I have to mention the diesel option. I'd think that if the 6.x diesel can meet the new emission requirements, surely a small diesel can be modified to do the same. The 4.5 powerstroke 4 door Ranger is already built in other parts of the world. Brazil has a diesel 4 door version, and England has a diesel 4 door coming up.

A thought - if they make E85 gas engines, why not B20 diesel engines? B20/B100 would at least help along with the emission problem. I know I can run diesel #1/#2 or B20 in my current engine with no harmful affects.

The way the current trends are going, we will soon be able to buy a Ford Escape with 400 hp!

Anyway, I currently have a 1996 F250 powerstroke that I ordered new. 215,000 miles on it and so far there isn't much out there that has attracted my attention to replace it. I am selling my 5th wheel RV, so I have no need for a 3/4 ton pickup as a daily driver. I am looking at the Colorado/Canyon/Isuzu Crew Cabs and Nissan Frontier Crew Cabs, but still I'd like to stay with Ford. I think a crew cab FXII Ranger powerstroke would be one heck of a best seller! My future ex has a 2003 SportTrac, but it has issues (can't rent from U-Haul).

I'm sure the standard answer is "no" to the above, but it would be nice to hear "no comment" to at least know y'all are already planning some of these!

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Edited by bigblueford

The Sport_Trac suffers from an identity crisis. Many don't know if they should consider it a truck or SUV, especially when it has "Explorer" infront of the name. That's why you get so many people looking for a 4-door Ranger when the Sport_Trac is already available. It is priced to compete with all of the other 4-door trucks, such as the Colorado and Frontier. It begins at just a little under $25,000. A 4-door Ranger would cost exactly the same and couldn't offer a V8 with a 6-spd and IRS. Indeed, many would be less interested in the value of this hardware and more interested in its usability as a truck. In that regard, the Sport Track may not fill the bill for many consumers. I wouldn't take a Sport_Track to the local landscape company and fill it with top soil, however I would with a Ranger. There might be an opportunity to offer a 4-door Ranger that undercuts the competition on price, but I doubt it's wortwhile considering the lack of interest.

The Sport_Trac suffers from an identity crisis. Many don't know if they should consider it a truck or SUV, especially when it has "Explorer" infront of the name. That's why you get so many people looking for a 4-door Ranger when the Sport_Trac is already available. It is priced to compete with all of the other 4-door trucks, such as the Colorado and Frontier. It begins at just a little under $25,000. A 4-door Ranger would cost exactly the same and couldn't offer a V8 with a 6-spd and IRS. Indeed, many would be less interested in the value of this hardware and more interested in its usability as a truck. In that regard, the Sport Track may not fill the bill for many consumers. I wouldn't take a Sport_Track to the local landscape company and fill it with top soil, however I would with a Ranger. There might be an opportunity to offer a 4-door Ranger that undercuts the competition on price, but I doubt it's wortwhile considering the lack of interest.

I agree with what you said about the Sport Trac. Is it a Truc, or is it an SUV? Personally, I think it's an SUV that dreams of being a Truck.

Honestly, I'd love a 4-door Ranger. Right now, I have a 2003 Regular Cab Ranger Edge and if I had the ability to trade up to a Ranger with 4-doors I'd be at the dealers immediately!

My little Ranger has been great. Even with the gutless 3.0L Vulcan, I've been able to haul loads loads cement bags (20 * 60lbs = 1200lbs) from Home Depot to home with no problems. I've hauled furniture, appliances, etc. It's been a great, little truck. The only thing I would want more out of my Ranger is power and fuel economy. Other than that, it's great. Sure, the 3.0L Vulcan is gutless but it fires up quick everytime I turn that key. It might not be powerfull, but it sure is reliable. For that reason alone, I think the Vulcan is great. I'd take reliability over a tire screecher if I had to choose one quality out of the two.

For all of those reasons, I would buy another Ranger but only if it has 4-doors, the same reliability (if not more), and more power. I guess until then I guess I'm stuck driving a Regular Cab for awhile, which isn't so bad really other than the lack of tire burning power (gotta remind myself it's not a race truck), room and passenger space.

It would be pretty great if they sort of unified the Explorer/Ranger once again (no, and not like the Sport Trac) so that most the parts are interchangeable (saves money for Ford, and us) and so that they have similar styling. Here, take a look at this link:

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/features/?p=8

I think someone had the same day-dream that I had. Look that that photoshoped picture. It's an Explorer front end, with an F150 rear-end. I really like the squared off bed rails of the F150. I wish the Ranger had that. Anyway, the imaginary Ranger in that image looks beautiful! That's something I'd definately buy!

As far as the diesel goes. A 4 cylinder turbo-charged diesel would be great. They have them in other countries. I know that International has a 2.8L diesel engine. It a 4-banger diesel can be put in there that put out around 300lbs of torque then I think it would be a winning combination.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for all it's worth.

Joe