Home Charging Station for Fusion Energi

mets67

Looking into home charging options for the Fusion Energi. I dirve way too far to just drive on electric so that's why I am getting this model, and most importantly being able to go in the HOV lane by myself! It seems that Honda and Toyota have deals with Leviton for the quick charging station that includes the station itself and installation. The installers do not support Ford though and we have to go to Geek Squad, where they don't know what's going on as well.

Had an electrician over the house and he says it would be waste of money to do this, somewhere around $2K plus to bring the station out ot my driveway. he suggested a regular outlet for a few hundred bucks. Anyone else famialir with the charging sations and is it worthi it to spend the extra $$$, alot of extrea $$$ to get the officla Ford Charging station?

There are some good threads on this subject at the Energi owners forum: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/forum/7-batteries-charging/

Some things to get you started...

• You do NOT have to go through the dealer/geek squad/Mr. Electric triumvirate if you don't want to. The only thing that gets your is a Ford branded charger and a higher bill.
  • You can get any aftermarket Level 2 charger that meets your needs. They can range from $600-1000. It seems the best deal right now is a Clipper Creek model for $595. You'll see it referenced on the Energi forum.
  • You can have any electrician install the 240v outlet/connection for whatever charger you get. This could save you some money. Certainly over paying Geek Squad $199 to come out and take pictures then just refer you to Mr. Electric for the actual work. That is a really messed up partnership.
  • It will cost more to run the electric out to your driveway but mainly materials and labor. If you can, the best bet is installing a 240v outlet and get a charger that simply plugs in to it. Then if you should ever move you can take the charger with you with little hassle as compared to wiring it directly into the electrical.
  • There is a Federal tax credit available on the cost of a Level 2 and the installation charges. It is for 30% of the costs up to $1000.

As for whether or not it is worth it to you, it depends on your driving habits. For me, it works just fine to get home at 6PM and not need to use the car again until 6AM and just use the included 110v convenience charger. It takes about 7 hours to charge a fully depleted battery. To pay upwards of $1000 to have that go from 7 hours to 2.5 is just not worth it to me. Where I would gain a greater benefit is if I could recharge at work as my one-way commute depletes my electric range. If you get home with a depleted battery and then regularly still make a bunch of other driving trips where a quick charge to give you a few electric miles would be worth it, then you may benefit from a Level 2 charger. If you get home and the car sits in the garage for 10-12 hours before going out again, then you should be fine using the included 110v unit in a regular outlet.

On the topic of that 110v unit, Ford recommends a "dedicated" outlet that has nothing else running off the same breaker. I believe the unit draws 12amps so you're looking at a minimum 15amp circuit breaker but 20 is recommended.

See and I'd suggest the best deal as the Leviton at home depot or amazon.com. It gets you a handy install kit and a 30 amp charger. Not so much help with a Ford Energi, but maybe your next car. Leviton is the manufacturer of the Ford logo'd charger.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-Evr-Green-Level-2-30-Amp-Indoor-Outdoor-EV-Charging-Station-with-Free-Installation-Kit-P00-EVKIT-030/204088633

Leviton Evr-Green Level 2 30 Amp Indoor/Outdoor EV Charging Station with Free Installation Kit

Model # P00-EVKIT-030

Internet # 204088633

$849.00 /EA-Each

Edited by shaggy314

I'm still leaning towards the ClipperCreek LCS-25, I feel pretty good about outfitting it with a NEMA L6-30P and adding a NEMA L6-30R in my garage and at my office.

nema_L6-30p.gifnema_L6-30r.gif

Something similar to what's written up here.... http://gm-volt.com/2011/07/07/settling-on-a-portable-level-2-charging-solution-for-the-chevrolet-volt/

Yes, and the NEMA L6-30R is probably available on Amazon. Those huge level 2 expensive recharging stations are overkill for 12A current. I'd have that receptacle installed in my garage in a couple of hours and be up and running*.

*NB: On a dedicated 30A, 240VAC circuit, after buying the correct breakers. Also: what I would do is in no way intended to be a recommendation of what anyone reading this post should do. I've installed electrical circuits for 40 years, and unless a person is completely familiar with all requirements, codes, and safety procedures, they should secure the services of a licensed electrician to do any modifications to their electrical infrastructure. In a lot of places (not where we live, but assume it elsewhere) a permit will have to be pulled to do this work.

There are some good threads on this subject at the Energi owners forum: http://www.fordfusionenergiforum.com/forum/7-batteries-charging/

Some things to get you started...

• You do NOT have to go through the dealer/geek squad/Mr. Electric triumvirate if you don't want to. The only thing that gets your is a Ford branded charger and a higher bill.
  • You can get any aftermarket Level 2 charger that meets your needs. They can range from $600-1000. It seems the best deal right now is a Clipper Creek model for $595. You'll see it referenced on the Energi forum.
  • You can have any electrician install the 240v outlet/connection for whatever charger you get. This could save you some money. Certainly over paying Geek Squad $199 to come out and take pictures then just refer you to Mr. Electric for the actual work. That is a really messed up partnership.
  • It will cost more to run the electric out to your driveway but mainly materials and labor. If you can, the best bet is installing a 240v outlet and get a charger that simply plugs in to it. Then if you should ever move you can take the charger with you with little hassle as compared to wiring it directly into the electrical.
  • There is a Federal tax credit available on the cost of a Level 2 and the installation charges. It is for 30% of the costs up to $1000.

As for whether or not it is worth it to you, it depends on your driving habits. For me, it works just fine to get home at 6PM and not need to use the car again until 6AM and just use the included 110v convenience charger. It takes about 7 hours to charge a fully depleted battery. To pay upwards of $1000 to have that go from 7 hours to 2.5 is just not worth it to me. Where I would gain a greater benefit is if I could recharge at work as my one-way commute depletes my electric range. If you get home with a depleted battery and then regularly still make a bunch of other driving trips where a quick charge to give you a few electric miles would be worth it, then you may benefit from a Level 2 charger. If you get home and the car sits in the garage for 10-12 hours before going out again, then you should be fine using the included 110v unit in a regular outlet.

On the topic of that 110v unit, Ford recommends a "dedicated" outlet that has nothing else running off the same breaker. I believe the unit draws 12amps so you're looking at a minimum 15amp circuit breaker but 20 is recommended.

Got a call yesterday and my car is in!! Now I really have to make a deicsion and I'm going to go with the 110v as charging overnight is more than ok for me. However the same trenching will need to be done to install this outlet as it would for the 240v which would still cost me well over a $1K.

The electrician could install the outlet on the same landscaping lighting that is already out by the driveway tough. This lighting, since it is flourescent only takes a maximum 2-3 amps. It is on a 40amp timer by the electric panel which we schedule it to go on when from dusk to dawn. My question is would it hurt the car if we had the outlet on this same breaker. It definitely appears to have more than enough "ampage". Thanks!

The electrician could install the outlet on the same landscaping lighting that is already out by the driveway tough. This lighting, since it is flourescent only takes a maximum 2-3 amps. It is on a 40amp timer by the electric panel which we schedule it to go on when from dusk to dawn. My question is would it hurt the car if we had the outlet on this same breaker. It definitely appears to have more than enough "ampage". Thanks!

It is not a good idea to drop the power to the charger while it is still actively charging the car. Granted that could happen for a Utility company power failure but I would not do it on a regular basis. I don't know if the supplied 120 volt charger is rated for use outdoors. ie Can it handle operating in a driving rain storm? The level 2 charger I have is rated for outdoor installation although it is installed in my garage.

What are the chances that someone could/would steal your 120 volt charger. It's plug-in for both connections and would be trivial to steal.

Disconnecting, rolling up the cable, and putting it into the trunk every time you leave the house will get old quickly.

Got a call yesterday and my car is in!! Now I really have to make a deicsion and I'm going to go with the 110v as charging overnight is more than ok for me. However the same trenching will need to be done to install this outlet as it would for the 240v which would still cost me well over a $1K.

FYI: if you end up trenching, I would at least add 6 to 8 gauge wire (run 3 wire 2 for the 240 and 1 for the ground) to it so you can do a 240 at some point, so you don't have to trench again.

I did all of the wiring myself on mine (not an electrician, but have done a lot of wiring before and have electrician friends). I bought my unit from Mr. Electric for $800 (that is their cost), an paid them $300+ (which helped them to make some profit) to bring it over, mount it and plug it in.

post-49063-0-71214000-1368373689_thumb.jpg

Edited by taylorjd

This was on engadget yesterday

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/11/bosch-introduces-affordable-home-ev-charger/

Bosch introduces affordable Power Max home EV charger range, starts at $450

boschcharger1212.jpg

Electric vehicles still have a few obstacles that prevent them from going fully mainstream. These typically center on the price of the vehicle itself (though this is changing), and its range. One other barrier has also been the price of home-based chargers. Now, Bosch is offering a level 2 (quicker than the usually cheaper, and slower level 1) home charging system for just $450. For that price you get 16 amp charging and a 12 foot cord. There are two other options that increase the amperage to 30, with a choice of 18 or 25 foot cables -- costing $593 and $749 respectively. These don't include any additional networking features and so on, but for this price, and reduced reliance on external charging networks, it'd be worth clearing out the garage for.