what is photoshop

Photoshop is the premiere photo editting software created by Adobe. But because it is so good, the name has gone the way of Kleenex and Coke, e.g. people refer to all tissues & soda pops by Kleenex & Coke. So yes to both, it is a brand as well as a general term.

Photochop is the act of using Photoshop to manipulate a picture.

Edited by JM

The professional version of Photoshop is expensive $600-$700 for a full retail copy. Most consumers would only use a fraction of the program's capability. That's why Adobe makes a consumer Photoshop-lite type version plus there are other programs that can be very effective at the same thing that most people will use it for.

I actually use JASC Paintshop 8.0 Pro which is a very nice photo-editing program with lots of capabilities all its own.

The professional version of Photoshop is expensive $600-$700 for a full retail copy. Most consumers would only use a fraction of the program's capability. That's why Adobe makes a consumer Photoshop-lite type version plus there are other programs that can be very effective at the same thing that most people will use it for.

I actually use JASC Paintshop 8.0 Pro which is a very nice photo-editing program with lots of capabilities all its own.

Corel bought JASC about a year or so ago, and upgraded Paint Shop Pro to version 10. Good program, only downside now is that Animation Shop is strictly an extra cost option. I use both Photoshop and Paint Shop pro for work (desktop publishing and web design for my sales job). I actually prefer Paint Shop Pro over Photoshop. Opens and saves in more formats. Just personal preference.

I thought I remembered reading about Corel buying it. They'll probably wind up running it into the ground like they did Ventura when they bought it from Xerox in the very early 90s. Another benefit of Paintshop professionally or personally, is its ease of use. Its one of those types of programs that you can begin utilizing rather quickly. I, too am like Len A...Paintshop is on my recommended list and its not a wallet-buster either at around $100 bucks.