What year Ranger to get

igor

Hey all..

My better half is thinking about getting a Ranger - she loves trucks, but cannot afford to have another F150 size vehicle because of gas. (She had an F150 and now has an Expedition)

She usually buys used, so I wanted to ask about some insight into Rangers.. Given the cheapness of the Ranger, she would probly buy something 2000 or newer (or so)

Are there some notoriously unreliable years?

Some packages/models that were simply Awesome ;)

Have the engines changed since 2000? How capable is the 4banger - she might be towing - but only once in a while, so I am hesitant to recommend the V6 because of mileage.

Thanks a lot ... I will probably think of many more questions, as I think more about this.

The other cars she is thinking about is the Escape, and Wrangler, but I am trying to way here away from the Jeep for the mileage reasons.

Igor

We've got about 120k on our 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4WD, and the only problems to date have been a misbehaving A/C and a Check Engine light because one cylinder bank is running too lean. Other than that, completely bulletproof. We hauled almost 2 tons of concrete in the bed with no ill effects. Rides like a bucking bronco, and the engine doesn't have blazing acceleration, but pretty nice for a truck.

I purchased a 2003 Ranger extended cab, XLT, 4X4, 4.0 SOHC and manual tranny over two years ago. It was a year old with 9,000 miles and I saved $7,000 over the best price quote on a new one at that time with similar equipment. I am also in the camp of those that prefer to buy used and save the first year depreciation.

Before I purchased the truck, I did a lot of research as to model years to avoid. Unfortunately, that has become important research for those purchasing Ford vehicles over the past 10 years or so. Here are some things that I remember and hopefully my memory is correct:

Do not get a 4.0 SOHC prior to the 2002 model year. These engines had weak timing chain tensioners and as usual of late, Ford is not addressing the issue for owners out of warranty. The 4.0 OHV engine had some issues during 1998/1999 although it is likely most of those engines have already failed and been repaired or replaced.

The pulse vacuum hub activation system used on 4X4 models from 1998 through sometime around 2001 is very problematic. Seems to be something that eventually always fails. There is no Ford support for this problem and not a lot of after-market support in terms of locking hubs/solutions to problem.

As with the Explorer, there are were quite a few automatic transmissions that left the factory with the wrong tranny fluid - 2003 model, I think. Ford did not pay to change the fluid but rather only created an additive for the transmissions. Some of these trannys are starting to fail at low mileage even with the recall done for this additive. I am not sure about the models affected but this should be easy to find since it was an official recall.

That's all that I can remember on my list of things to avoid. I really like my 2003 Ranger that I purchased used and have had no problems with it. It now has about 26,000 miles on it. My 4.0 SOHC engine will get a solid 19 mpg overall mixed driving with the manual transmission and 4X4 - often carrying a heavy load. Mine also has 4.10 rear gears, so the highway mileage is not a lot higher - 21 mpg tops. The 4-cylinder is no doubt much better for gas mileage purposes, but the 4.0 is not the guzzler that many make it out to be when driven reasonably.

I have a 1997 Ranger XL 4x2 with the 4-cylinder and the manual transmission, and I've put on 140k miles since I got it new. I've had no repairs except for the clutch at about 110k miles, and the usual assortment of wear and tear items (brake pads, shoes, belts, hoses, etc). The truck has been bulletproof and has consistently delivered 30mpg on the highway and mid 20s around town. I've towed small trailers with it and exceeded the payload capacity more than a couple of times, and the truck was fine. If you're going to get the 4-cylinder, though, make sure it's the 2.3 DOHC, not the 2.5. The latter engine, while getting pretty good fuel economy, lacks power. The DOHC only has 135 hp, but that is much more than the 119 in the 2.5 and the engine is much smoother. If you're going to get the V6, forego the 3.0 (you may as well stick with the 4-cylinder) and go for the 4.0. It really comes down to what you're going to use the truck for. If towing and hauling heavy loads are going to be common, or you just like power, go with the 4.0 V6. If mileage matters, go with the 2.3 DOHC 4-cylinder.

We've got about 120k on our 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 4WD, and the only problems to date have been a misbehaving A/C and a Check Engine light because one cylinder bank is running too lean. Other than that, completely bulletproof. We hauled almost 2 tons of concrete in the bed with no ill effects. Rides like a bucking bronco, and the engine doesn't have blazing acceleration, but pretty nice for a truck.

For the lean problem - the lower intake manifold bolts need to be tightened. This is a common problem on the pre-98 4.0 engines. This site has details on how to fix it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/40Problems.htm