Drove An Edge today... Ford Racing Drive Zone

spacescape

I ended up going to the Ford Racing Drive Zone because I was told that there would be three Ford Edge's (two to test drive and one on display).

http://fordracingevents.com/drive-zones/detroit-drive-zone

When we got there we parked next to two Ford Edge's in the parking lot with manufacture plates on it. The event started at 8:00 and we signed up for a 10:00 slot to test drive even though I think you just reserve a slot so it help keep the crowds a little less crowded.

Here are some photos of the Edge SEL's that we saw in the parking garage.

img2869im2.th.jpg img2840mr9.th.jpg img2841yx3.th.jpg

The Edge was stuck in customs so it didn't get there until around 9:45 and didn't get to the test track until around 10:30. I was the second person to test drive it and all I have to say that it looks great in person and the interior look is beautiful.

When we got there around 9:00-9:30 we got to see the Edge that they had on display and I was immediately approached by the Bold Move film crew for an interview which I allowed (must of been to tired to say no). So, you might see me in one of the Bold Move featuring "the edge". But, hopefully not.

Here are images of "The Edge" that was on display.

img2852aa4.th.jpg img2851wz4.th.jpg img2850kf8.th.jpg img2849xd3.th.jpg img2848qq4.th.jpg img2853ed8.th.jpg img2854xj4.th.jpg

Then I got two laps out of the Edge. First one w/ my father and the ford rep (only car that a Ford Rep was in.) Second lap w/ the Bold Move's Film crew (they saw me in line and wanted to get footage of me test driving the Edge). All I have to say is that vehicle looks better in person (and it always looked good in the photos), interior is sweet looking, lots of interior room (felt as roomy as my Explorer), lots of cargo room, vista roof is very nice (even though I didn't order mine w/ one due to my wife and I always have our sunroofs closed and having a 16 month old), Plenty of pickup, rode nice and handled very very well.

Can't wait until mine shows up in November.

Bill

WOW ... I am happy yo uare satisfied with the Edge .... and thanks for the info and pics ...

Did you have a chance to toss it into any corners to test the handling? Did you get any info on mileage?

Igor

Well, it seemed to corner very good however I never got onto the gas due to the ford babysitter sitting next to me. But, the second time around their was a film crew in the car who kicked the babysitter out and I stepped on it out of the hole. Mileage is "Mid-20's" which is starting to p*ss me off. Don't they have any real data yet?

Bill

^^Epa has not tested the engine yet .. so no they do not have the nubrs yet ...

If you are impatient about finding out, make it a habbit to check fueleconomy.gov ....

you can click the link below:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

This site will be the first to post the info.

Igor

Well, realistically I'm starting to accept that 70-80% of my driving is City so I'll just be happy to get low 20's anyhow. But still beats the 16ish I get in my explorer.

Bill

Lucky bastard! I'd kill to test drive one right now. Ok, ok, that's an exageration...

Thanks for the pictures. A few of those angles really answered some of my personal questions about room.

How would you rate the ride vs other Ford cars? I'm more curious about quiet and comfort. I'm sure it'll be sporty enough for me coming from a Grand Marquis.

Lucky bastard! I'd kill to test drive one right now. Ok, ok, that's an exageration...

Thanks for the pictures. A few of those angles really answered some of my personal questions about room.

How would you rate the ride vs other Ford cars? I'm more curious about quiet and comfort. I'm sure it'll be sporty enough for me coming from a Grand Marquis.

I would say it rode very very nice compared to my explorer. More like a car but the room of a SUV. It seemed quiet but it will be hard to tell until you actually get it out into "real" traffic. I would rate it probably a 7 or 8 out of 10... But a 10 if you compare it to a Truck/SUV (IMHO).

The best part of the day was sitting in a Ford GT (GT40). FUN. Also, I only went there to drive the Edge so I didn't drive anything other than a Sport Track on the off road setup.

Bill

Thanks for the report! Glad you got to drive it and like it. Sounds like a real winner for Ford. Murano what? Highlander who?

Scott

It should be a real winner for ford. The only thing that would make less of a success is to introduce it with bad residuals and rates so it leases bad. I kept the options in check to keep the price down so hopefully it leases about the same as my explorer.

If they offered 0% for 60 months I might even consider buying it. However, I don't know about buying a brand new car w/ a new engine and transmission the first year it's introduced.

Bill

Edited by spacescape

Well, realistically I'm starting to accept that 70-80% of my driving is City so I'll just be happy to get low 20's anyhow. But still beats the 16ish I get in my explorer.

Bill

the EPA mileage should be something around the Lexus RX, which is 19/24 for the 4wd version and has the same size engine, 3.5L. It could even be less since the Edge runs on regular fuel and the RX on premium.

The review of the MKZ in this same section claims "mid 20's" for overall driving. Also a link on Edmunds states the same thing for the Edge. So that means 22/27 to me. Somewhere around there. Maybe 21/28. I'm hoping for top 20's on the highway myself.

The published 6th gear ratio is nice and tall (especially for the FWD's axle ratio). So tall, in fact, that I wonder whether it will get beyond 5th during the EPA tests. My guess is just under 1500 RPM in 6th at 60 MPH for the FWD. That is impressively low RPM and should make for a very efficient highway cruiser.

With this gearing, actual highway mileage may be relatively better than that of existing vechicles with similar EPA ratings. That being said, the new Acadia will have similarly tall gearing.

Thanks for the pics and post. My wife's Explorer lease is up soon, and this car is #1 at the top of her shopping list. We drove a Freestyle last weekend, but the center console is stupidly placed in that car. It literally dug right below my right kneecap, and forced my legs together more than is comfortable. That pretty much killed the car, and guaranteed a wait for the Edge (my wife only buys Ford).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...