2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD. I drove from Trevose, PA to Ann Arbor, MI and back this past weekend. The traffic flow was 80 mph +/- 10 mph. At three separate times (one on the way up and two on the way back) the engine shutoff, with the triangular hazard light showing on the instrument panel with the message "You may safely stop now." Apparently the engine overheats and is shutdown. See TSB 08-24-5; it seems that the electric coolant pump has to be replaced. Has anyone else here had this issue? Other then the wheel sensor tone ring and some rusting I've had no other trouble in the 79000 miles I've owned the Mariner.

I have a 2008 escape hybrid AWD. I just had this issue on the way to Florida from NJ last month. I had about 72,000 miles on the car. It happened once going to Fl. and several times on the way back. It only happened when going over 70 MPH. Each time I had to pull over shut ignition off and restart the car. The dealer replaced the coolant pump as you mentioned above. I do not think I would have noticed the problem if I had not been traveling on I95. I usually am not going over 70MPH locally. Luckily I had the extended warranty so the repair only cost me $50.

I believe from searching the internet this is a common problem with this vehicle.

Thanks, dwg. I have an OBD II scanner, so I checked the codes today; they are P0A3E, P0562, and P1A0D. The first two refer to "TRANS $01" and the third refers to "ENG $00"--Hybrid powertrain control module. These codes are listed in TSB 08-24-5. I've scheduled an appointment with my mechanic for next Monday.

I just came back from a local event going 40 mph and it happened again--the engine shut off, and the battery mode did NOT kick in. I shifted into neutral and coasted along, with my hazard lights on, until I could find a place to pull-over and re-start the engine. I now think that Ford should issue a recall for the coolant pump. I'm a very skillful driver, so I'm safe, but non-skillful drivers may end up in a crash!