Noise while turning wheel (at a stop)

nmadole

I started getting some weird clunking/ feedback in the floorboard area (drivers side) last week while parallel parking ... Any ideas?

Link to sound file of issue

In the sound file I am sitting at stop light, in gear, with my foot on the brake. I am turning the wheel all the way to the left then back to the right (repeated). Recorded from the interior drivers side wheel well at the level of my knee.

You will hear a pronounced Thud, Thud, Thud, Thud

Only notice the sound while parallel parking and turning the wheel while stopped.

Edited by nmadole

Does it really feel like the thud is at the floorboard area or in the center of the steering wheel itself? I had my steering wheel airbag replaced when I had the car for about 6 months because the airbag unit itself became loose. It was replaced with a new one.

Does it really feel like the thud is at the floorboard area or in the center of the steering wheel itself? I had my steering wheel airbag replaced when I had the car for about 6 months because the airbag unit itself became loose. It was replaced with a new one.

It feels like it is coming directly through the floorboards, I can feel it in my left foot.

There was a recall for a missing steering clip awhile back:

Date: 2013-05-31 Potentially Affected: 20 Type: Vehicle ID #: 97728 Campaign: 13V232000 Manufacture's Campaign: 13S06
Manufactured between: 2013-04-19 and 2013-04-23
Owner notification: 2013-06-17

Component: STEERING

Defect: Ford is recalling certain model year 2013 Fusion vehicles manufactured April 19, 2013, through April 23, 2013. The steering gears may be missing an internal retaining clip. If the clip is missing, components inside the steering gear may become dislodged inside the gear assembly.

Consequence: This could result in impaired steering, including the loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Correction: Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering gear, free of charge. The recall began on June 17, 2013. Ford's recall number is 13S06. Owners may contact the Ford customer relationship center at 1-866-436-7332.

Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Edited by Chris1970