TCAP to 1 shift

Ford plant to eliminate shift

December move will affect up to 700 jobs in St. Paul

Staff and wire reports

Ford Motor Co. told union officials Monday that it will eliminate one of the two shifts at its St. Paul truck-assembly plant in December, which will affect up to 700 jobs.

The embattled automaker said in April that it will close the Ranger plant in 2008 as part of a sweeping restructuring. It currently employs some 2,000 people at the St. Paul plant, including 1,750 production workers.

The United Auto Workers says it proposed earlier this summer that Ford eliminate the shift and provide buyouts to those who would lose their jobs, said Jim Eagle, chairman of UAW Local 879 in St. Paul. However, Ford has offered no word on the buyout proposal.

"We want Ford to stay solvent so people can maintain their retirement," Eagle said. Eliminating the shift, which will happen Dec. 4, will save Ford more than $20 million through the end of the year, he said.

In addition to losing a shift, the plant will cease production for six to eight weeks starting in September as part of Ford's production cuts announced Friday.

Ford said it would temporarily halt work at 10 of its plants, including St. Paul, as it slashes production by some 20 percent, its steepest reductions since the 1980s.

The production cuts target what had been a big winner for Ford: its trucks.

But of late, Ranger truck sales are off 24.5 percent for the first seven months of 2006 compared with the same period last year. Sales dropped nearly 51 percent in July compared with the same month in 2005. Ford's F-Series trucks also saw sales plummet in July, off more than 45 percent.

On Monday, Bloomberg News reported that the automaker also is preparing to extend buyout offers to all its factory workers in North America, citing unnamed sources with knowledge of the plan.

The step would reverse Ford's strategy of "targeted" offers at specific plants and echo General Motors' companywide buyouts and early retirements, which helped GM shed a third of its United Auto Workers union employees this year.

"Whatever GM gets from the UAW, Ford gets it three to six months later," said David Giroux, an analyst at T. Rowe Price Group, which owns 9.8 million Ford shares. "That makes it very logical that Ford would start offering these buyouts now."

It's unclear if the possible revamping of Ford's buyout program is related to the lack of word on separation packages as part of the elimination of a shift at its St. Paul plant.

The buyouts are part of the latest restructuring at Ford after a $1.44 billion first-half net loss. Dearborn, Mich.-based Ford, the second-largest U.S. automaker, said in July it would accelerate job cuts.

Chris Ceraso, a Credit Suisse analyst in New York, downgraded his Ford rating to "underperform" from "neutral" in a note Monday on Ford titled, "It's Worse Than You Think."

"Our sense is the market is not yet acknowledging how severely this production cut will hit Ford's earnings and cash flow," Ceraso said.

The company will announce the buyouts and early retirements in September, said the two people, who asked not to be identified because the program isn't public.

GM this year offered buyouts worth as much as $140,000 to all UAW-represented employees. About 34,000 people accepted, or about one in three.

Ford may have to offer more money than GM to get the same buyout-acceptance rate among union members, said Sean McAlinden, a labor analyst at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Mich. Ford's work force is younger, McAlinden said, because the carmaker kept hiring into the 1990s after GM stopped.

"The only way to make sure people leave is to massively increase the buyout offers," McAlinden said. "My gut instinct is that they have to go way past the GM offer."

Ford shares dropped 53 cents Monday, closing at $7.47.

Staff writer Julie Forster and Bloomberg News contributed to this story.

the way i see it as much as i want a buyout and would take it. 1 year (if we are around that long) at 50 hours is close to the same amount as a buyout with benefits for that year. with the exception with the buyout id have income from a new job.

the best would be to work till the end then get a buyout. and i wouldnt mind being on the line till the last day. actually i kind of hope to be there till the bitter end. but im not going to turn down a buyout either. they may only offer once

:finger::finger: I would just hope to GOD that they didn't give buy outs to any ASSHOLE that has over 30!!!!

They got there buy out. It was 30 and leave YOU greedy SON OF A BITCHES

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about and are really showing your ignorance....Why shouldn't ANY Ford employee who is eligible(and I hope that's all of us, even you) try to get a buyout.....Sure, someone with 30 years can leave with their Ford pension but why not leave with an extra 35k if they offer it...........Also, someone with 30 years is not 'taking someone else's job' as many seem to feel....If a 30 year person leaves today, they certainly are not going to replace them.....The HIRING is over. A 30 year person retiring is not going to make room for someone else to get hired...............And, BTW, classifying 30 year folks as ***holes and SOBs REALLY shows your IGNORANCE................I hope YOU get a buyout. Why would you hope that I DON'T get one....eh, BROTHER?.........

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about and are really showing your ignorance....Why shouldn't ANY Ford employee who is eligible(and I hope that's all of us, even you) try to get a buyout.....Sure, someone with 30 years can leave with their Ford pension but why not leave with an extra 35k if they offer it...........Also, someone with 30 years is not 'taking someone else's job' as many seem to feel....If a 30 year person leaves today, they certainly are not going to replace them.....The HIRING is over. A 30 year person retiring is not going to make room for someone else to get hired...............And, BTW, classifying 30 year folks as ***holes and SOBs REALLY shows your IGNORANCE................I hope YOU get a buyout. Why would you hope that I DON'T get one....eh, BROTHER?.........

You're right on jshep, bout the name calling. I know several that are in their late 40's, with 30 yrs. I understand that they may not want to retire. Where emotions will run high is those senior folks that are basically debt free, nearly 40 yrs or whatever and are sitting for the big bucks. Yes they have every right to the money too. This may not be an issue if the company wide buyouts are thrown out there. But if a plant gets a specific number of packages, say 500, that may be enough for the employees with 28 yrs or more seniority. Our younger bros and sis that are 40 something and 9 yrs senority could miss out on a package, a pension and they're at an age where it's more difficult to start a new career. I can understand their frustration if they're number 501. Company wide buyouts will solve many of these problems. Bring'm on.............. lets git-r-done :happy feet:

You're right on jshep, bout the name calling. I know several that are in their late 40's, with 30 yrs. I understand that they may not want to retire. Where emotions will run high is those senior folks that are basically debt free, nearly 40 yrs or whatever and are sitting for the big bucks. Yes they have every right to the money too. This may not be an issue if the company wide buyouts are thrown out there. But if a plant gets a specific number of packages, say 500, that may be enough for the employees with 28 yrs or more seniority. Our younger bros and sis that are 40 something and 9 yrs senority could miss out on a package, a pension and they're at an age where it's more difficult to start a new career. I can understand their frustration if they're number 501. Company wide buyouts will solve many of these problems. Bring'm on.............. lets git-r-done :happy feet:

Your post makes a lot of sense Dakota Kid.....I agree. I hope and pray we get Company-wide buyouts. If they offer them to anyone they should offer them to everyone. And the sooner the better...........This 'keeping us in the dark' stuff is getting old. And they wonder why we don't care about them........... :shrug:

Edited by jshep