steering whine inside the cabin

edino

Hi All,

We brought our 2013 MKX 3.7 4x4 for a service to our dealer, and had a complain that the power steering assist would sometimes cut out while parking. It was resolved by bleeding the system; they claimed that they found some air. But since than, we have a very pronounced whining sound inside the cabin when steering. We went back twice now to have it fixed, they changed the pump, but the sound is still there. They there is indeed more that normal whine, but they claim is is still acceptable.

The sound cannot be heard outside the car.

I have driven an identical MKX provided by them, and the steering sound is totally absent. Only when very fast steering while parking, there is a very slight whine at the background; I consider that as perfectly normal. With my car unfortunately, the sound is much more pronounced as soon you steer; and as soon you have the steering in the neutral position, it goes away. Passengers also here it very clearly, the sound is more pronounced than the engine sound itself, especially at low RPM's. The whining sound volume is higher at higher RPM's, but at some point the engine sound is overwhelming it.

Does anyone has any suggestion what could be the issue?

Otherwise, we are very happy with the car, but its a real petty that the dealer is not able / willing to resolve this issue

Thanks!