General tire blow out

onfocus

Well - I never had one blow out but my 98 F-150 came with General tires and they were trash by 22K. They also behaved terrible in wet weather and were downright dangerous. I think the market name was "Ameristar - 550" or something like that. Junk more like.

The second set of tires were BFG "Long Trail T/A" and they were far superior in wear and wet weather (45K).

I also have used Wranglers since - and they were/are great too.

I've seen lots of Expy's with Generals that have worn off the black rubber on the sidewalls and look pretty bad (like a wide white wall gone bad). Its a different tire but with all the curb wear (assuming that was the cause) I've often wondered how many of those folks experienced some kind of trouble.

Ed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
In general, "General" branded tires are junk. The ones that start with "Ameri" are the absolute cheapest that they make.

I feel lucky then, I've got an 04 FX4 F150 with 37K on my factory Generals with no problem except the tread is getting down to where I'll need to start looking for replacements. I'm not looking for another set of Generals, so anyone have any suggestions? Most of my driving is on paved roads and some gravel with snow and ice, very little 4 wheeling in the dirt. Thanks!

I feel lucky then, I've got an 04 FX4 F150 with 37K on my factory Generals with no problem except the tread is getting down to where I'll need to start looking for replacements. I'm not looking for another set of Generals, so anyone have any suggestions? Most of my driving is on paved roads and some gravel with snow and ice, very little 4 wheeling in the dirt. Thanks!

Well, I have a 2004 Escape that came with Continental's that were not very good. They did not have very good traction in the wet and wore fairly quickly. I replaced them with Goodyears, I don't know off hand which model but they were moderately priced. I have been very happy with them, they are quiet and have good wet weather traction and seem to be wearing well.

We also have a 2001 Ranger 4x4 that came with BFG long trail tires that I didn't care all that much for but gave decent service. I replaced those with Goodyear Wranglers and they have worn well and give a quiet ride for the type of tire. It is the one with the highway tread.

So that is my two cents... By the way the Ranger is going to be sold next summer if anyone is interested

I went with Goodyear Wranglers. My dealer said that the tires were ok. I was the one driving the truck though, and I knew they were not right. New Goodyears and it's a whole new truck.