Tale of two Toyotas

TBirdStangSkyliner

I drove and rode a few hundred miles over the last couple of weeks in two different Toyotas. The first was a friend's brand new Tacoma. It was a very nice truck that sounds, drives, and rides like near perfection relative to what an offroad worthy truck can be expected to be. Everything seemed so buttoned down and it oozed engineering refinement and build quality. The seats could have been better, but I could stay fairly comfortable.

The second was a 2015 Camry with 8,000 miles. What an over-rated, torturous dog-doodoo box of cheapness this car was. The road and wind noise was quickly exhausting. The thump and bump ride was worse. The seats were just as bad. The twelve to fifteen year old models are better in all three of these criticle areas. I was astonished at how such an unrefined car can fetch so many sales from a reputation that is no longer cogent. I got done with the trip and read several reviews pointing out these issues while still placing it near top of class. What gives?

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

I drove and rode a few hundred miles over the last couple of weeks in two different Toyotas. The first was a friend's brand new Tacoma. It was a very nice truck that sounds, drives, and rides like near perfection relative to what an offroad worthy truck can be expected to be. Everything seemed so buttoned down and it oozed engineering refinement and build quality. The seats could have been better, but I could stay fairly comfortable.

The second was a 2015 Camry with 8,000 miles. What an over-rated, torturous dog-doodoo box of cheapness this car was. The road and wind noise was quickly exhausting. The thump and bump ride was worse. The seats were just as bad. The twelve to fifteen year old models are better in all three of these criticle areas. I was astonished at how such an unrefined car can fetch so many sales from a reputation that is no longer cogent. I got done with the trip and read several reviews pointing out these issues while still placing it near top of class. What gives?

I'd had a similar experience where I've driven back to back an 93' Camry and an 07' model and was blown away how the 93' felt more solid in every way dispite mileage and age. It the solidness of that 93' is why Camry is still on top.

Ford should had at lest put an auto transmission and a 3.8 head gasket worth-a-damn in 1st gen Taurus. They did in 96' with the weird look but it was too late.