B1 Platofrm ready sooner than expected?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/...y-photos-mazda2

This means that B1 platform was finished, and we should see products approved on it soon - and the start the 18-24 moth clock.

Igor

I guess that Mazda has its own product cycle plan and definitivley Mazda develops the platforms for the B cars. I wonder what Fields has in mind for B cars for the US since it is known that he axed the Brazilian EcoSport derivative. Also, since the Mexican plan was leaked it is unknown what will happen with the project for the US. I guess that the Euro/Latin Fiesta will migrate towards a new platform in the next 24 months (perhaps 36 for Brazil) based on this Mazda.

We'll have to wait and see. If Ford is serious about bringing these cars to the US market, they better have a concept at the NAIAS this coming January. Then we can begin to start the clock IMHO.

This means that B1 platform was finished, and we should see products approved on it soon - and the start the 18-24 moth clock.

While I'd like that to be true, the CD3 MZ6 was being produced in late 2002...we didn't see the Fusion triplets until Oct 2005. While Mazda has been the engineering lead on the B1 chassis, I wouldn't link the Mazda2 introduction with the intro of a "Fiesta" for NA. As announced in the "Way Forward", I'd expect an early 2009 launch of a 2010 Fiesta...something like 33 months from now.

But it's all a guess. I'd like the new Fiesta to be here next year...or at least a SportKa to tide the US market over...

Scott

Edited by waymondospiff

While I'd like that to be true, the CD3 MZ6 was being produced in late 2002...we didn't see the Fusion triplets until Oct 2005. While Mazda has been the engineering lead on the B1 chassis, I wouldn't link the Mazda2 introduction with the intro of a "Fiesta" for NA. As announced in the "Way Forward", I'd expect an early 2009 launch of a 2010 Fiesta...something like 33 months from now.

But it's all a guess. I'd like the new Fiesta to be here next year...or at least a SportKa to tide the US market over...

Scott

the CD3 was a different situation - Ford had to re-engineer the platofrm for the Fusion triplets. Also the project did not launch immediately with the launch of Mazda6.

in this project, the B1 platform was co-developed by all involved parties (incl Ford NA) and there will be no "adjustments" for wA market - FoMoCo wants it to be truly global platform - the ay the Mazda6 platform was supposed to be - but that platofrm failed at that - Europe rejected it straight up )and got EUCD) and NA had to significantly adjust it.

Ford is smarter now. Look at C1 - the products based on that platofrm are sold tryully globally, and are doing well everyewhere - even though Ford NA as such did not build a product on it. B1 and C2 are finally systematizing the C1 development product. the CD3 was an early attempt (even before C1) and was far from as advanced even as the C1.

Igor

The CD3 was reviewed well in europe (well, the Mazda6 was) but I believe that it hasn't been the sales success it was hoped to be (though, I really don't have any hard numbers on that, only hear say). The Mz6 had a problem for the US market, rear seat room, and this was adjusted for CD3.

The C1 is actually hit or miss in North america. The Mazda 3 is definitely a hit, but, the C1 based Volvo S40 (and companion V50) is looking more and more like a miss each day (for the US market, it may do well elsewhere).

And, even if they have B1 (or 2, or whatever) ready next year, where will they build it? There is no close, inexpensive plant that is anywhere near ready to produce it, we're years away from that. The absolute best we can hope for is that Mazda produces the MAzda2 in a federalized form and imports it. It'll still be pricey ($13K+) compared to some other B class competitiors (some of which start at 9999) but even with others (yaris anyone?). If Mazda could produce a mercury rebadge for the US market, that would be extremely cool as well, given the limited dealer network of each brand, but would likely never happen.