Aviator w/moonroof - roof rack capacity

skipdup

Hello.  Just got a '21 Aviator a few days ago.  I notice the max. recommended load capacity for the roof is 82 lbs.  I had planned to get a Thule box for extra cargo capacity while traveling with the three kids.  But the box I wanted (Motion XT Large) weighs ~40lbs. leaving only another ~40lbs. for cargo (i.e. clothes and whatnot).

Does anyone know if this limit is based on a structural limitation of the vehicle or if it's more of a center-of-gravity/handling/safety limitation?  Anyone have experience carrying a bit more than the recommended amount?

Thanks,
Skip

53 minutes ago, skipdup said:

Hello.  Just got a '21 Aviator a few days ago.  I notice the max. recommended load capacity for the roof is 82 lbs.  I had planned to get a Thule box for extra cargo capacity while traveling with the three kids.  But the box I wanted (Motion XT Large) weighs ~40lbs. leaving only another ~40lbs. for cargo (i.e. clothes and whatnot).

Does anyone know if this limit is based on a structural limitation of the vehicle or if it's more of a center-of-gravity/handling/safety limitation?  Anyone have experience carrying a bit more than the recommended amount?

Thanks,
Skip

Hi Skip. It would be due to structural limitations. If you exceed the recommended limits, you will be taking your chances with your vehicle and possible warranty issues, if there should ever be damage, whatever the "experience" of others may be.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, skipdup said:

Thanks,
Skip

I also purchased a 2021 Avaitor Black label. I also recently purchased a roof top carrier. I was told the weight restriction for the Aviator with sunroof was 150 lbs.This number seemd much more realistic than 82 lbs. Especialy With the weight being spread across 5 to 6 foot of rail support. I think the 2021 Aviator is a great car and assumed it would be as big or bigger than my old Lincoln MKT. If you use only the front & back seats it's wonderful.If you need the 3rd row I hope your riders are 5' & 100lbs or less. It is almost impossible to access the 3rd row without being a gymnasts. I don't know where the room went in the new Aviator but it's not in the interior.