CVT Transmission?

OHIOLOCAL863

I'm interested what Ford Motor Company will do with the CVT Transmission? This was going to be the transmission of the future! I think it will be very successful in due time! I find it very interesting that Ford would decided to pull the plug on something, that was considered to be the Future of Transmissions. I'm very aware that, this transmission was costing Ford a lot of money to build. I'm guessing by 2015, you'll see many cars on the road, being powered by a CVT! Just wait and see!

Do you drive a car with a CVT in it? If, so could you please give your detailed review of this transmission?

December 31, 2006, My last day with Ford Motor Company! I'm not going to up and move, just to loose my job in the future!

Anyone interested in a $6.50 T-shirt, That reads on the Front: I USED TO WORK AT FORD!

Back: NOW I WORK FOR FIELDS,

GETTLEFINGER AND CO.

THEY GOT OUR BACK!

I've driven a few Freestyles with the CVT, and it's a neat experience. When cruising, the motor is doing about 2200RPM or so. When you nail the gas, the motor jumps to the high 4000's and sticks there. You build up speed, but the motor revs don't change. It's a bit like a motor boat, but its feels like the thrust of an aircraft.

Some have complained about it though, and some makers actually program in steps to make it feel like a geared shifter. What's the point then, crippling tech to appease the Luddites?

I'm interested what Ford Motor Company will do with the CVT Transmission? This was going to be the transmission of the future! I think it will be very successful in due time! I find it very interesting that Ford would decided to pull the plug on something, that was considered to be the Future of Transmissions. I'm very aware that, this transmission was costing Ford a lot of money to build. I'm guessing by 2015, you'll see many cars on the road, being powered by a CVT! Just wait and see!

Do you drive a car with a CVT in it? If, so could you please give your detailed review of this transmission?

December 31, 2006, My last day with Ford Motor Company! I'm not going to up and move, just to loose my job in the future!

Anyone interested in a $6.50 T-shirt, That reads on the Front: I USED TO WORK AT FORD!

GETTLEFINGER AND CO.

THEY GOT OUR BACK!

I got a Freestyle with the CVT on 21 January 2006. I now have just less than 35,000 miles on it. I think the CVT is great. I drive over 160 miles each weekday. The first 40 odd miles of my drive is open highway in the small hills coming out of the Shenandoah Valley in Northern Virginia. The RPMs are constantly changing going up and down the hills with the cruise set just under 80 mph but it is buttery smooth and I don’t notice the RPM change at all. On my 2003 Ranger (traded-in on the Freestyle) the Transmission was always shifting out of OD near the top of the hills when the cruise was set, then shifting back on the way down (not buttery smooth). After the first 40 odd miles of my commute, I hit a 4 to 5 mile traffic jam (every day at 530 AM). The CVT is good in the heavy traffic also; no jerks or shifts, you just speed up and slow down. I want to trade my Focus in on a 500 so I can get another car with the CVT before Ford does away with them. I'm sure that Ford has a good reason to drop the CVT, but it does seem like the transmission of the future to me. After driving the CVT for a while, you can sort of control how it works by how far you mash on the accelerator. If you floor it (all the way to the floor) the RPMs will jump right up to about 5400. If you are not in that much of a hurry don't press it as far and will jump up to 4200. I know you can make any automatic transmission shift by stomping the gas but the CVT changes instantly. The first scheduled service on the CVT is 60,000 miles so I guess I'll see how well it's holding up in the Spring.

If BTV employees remember, Chrysler and Nissan came to BTV to buy our CVT. What they saw when they toured the plant was downtime! Lots of it! Robots breaking down causing the assembly line to stop. There was no plan 'B' as all robots where in automatic mode only with no manual override. So, thats why the CVT is ending, we couldnt get the numbers out. Ford couldnt get what they needed much less for Chrysler and Nissan. It has nothing to do with performance of the transmission or labor building it. Now Nissan builds their own CVT in California for themselves and Chrysler.

Also, sending gear boxes to Muncie Indiana to be impregnated because of a case line mill failure, back to Ryobi for re casting, sending variators and ring gears to outside contractors for re-milling and re-broaching. The actual parts cost to mill and re-mill along with the LOC on Half Acre road are what helped drive the cost up.

As for the 'no-shift', it was a customer complaint. Older customers that bought cars with CVT's keep bringing the cars back for service but nothing is wrong and they dont understand that there is no shifting.

CVT's will be around, but not in the mainstream as once thought.

Did Sharonville get this work?

NO!

There was talk of the CFT-23 (smaller CVT) being sent to SHV. It only takes 12 people to build the CFT-23, they are all hand built!. The CFT-23 is for the European deisel Focus that get 53 miles per gallon. Why that isnt built and sold in the U.S. is beyond me!

What's the towing capacity of the CVT equiped vehicle?

The towing on the Freestyle with the CVT is next to nothing, 1000 - 1200 Lbs. I think. Current CVTs are torque limited. You would be able to tow your Buell on a small trailer. But the Buell should be on the road and not a trailer anyway. In my Humble opinion, if you want to tow buy a nice Ford truck.

Hey Dejablue2001 S-10,

BTVtoSHV. He (MICKEY MOUSE) has all the answers! He even had the guts to get on here and handout his phone number.

You can call him at home if you want! He seems to know everything about the Batavia Plant, Yet he only spent a few months inside it.

Hey MICKEY, you want to know why Ford only builds that in Europe. If they had a car here in the USA, that would get 50+ mpg. They wouldn't be able to shut all the plants down! They would control market share, and that means, Plants running at or near capacity. They don't want this. They're happy with where they stand now. The company is finally getting to do what it's wanted to do for a long time. That is reduce North American Jobs!

FORD MOTOR COMPANY IS STILL MAKING A LOT OF MONEY! They will make a huge amount of money in the next five years! Will they creat more JOBS in the USA, Hell NO!

To the guys from Batavia, What are you planning to do? Take the 100,000, and go to school for free! How can this be done? It's simple, you live off of the 100,000 next year. Then in 2008, you go and apply for welfare from the State of Ohio. If your married, have your spouse quit working, If you have kids, you'll receive assistance for them. They will pay for your college. Your family will have insurance. All you have to do is not get a job! Let the State pay your bills! If your serious about going to School. You'll have a degree in a few years. This type of thing happens every year in Ohio. If you take time and visit a few area colleges, you'll see kids driving new cars, and living in nice apartments, and going to school for free. Yeah, it's not going to make you proud, but you'll get a free education. When your finished with school, You won't have any student loans to pay back! In this day and age, It takes longer than 4 years to get a degree! Do your research!

Hey Dejablue2001 S-10,

BTVtoSHV. He (MICKEY MOUSE) has all the answers! He even had the guts to get on here and handout his phone number.

You can call him at home if you want! He seems to know everything about the Batavia Plant, Yet he only spent a few months inside it.

Hey MICKEY, you want to know why Ford only builds that in Europe. If they had a car here in the USA, that would get 50+ mpg. They wouldn't be able to shut all the plants down! They would control market share, and that means, Plants running at or near capacity. They don't want this. They're happy with where they stand now. The company is finally getting to do what it's wanted to do for a long time. That is reduce North American Jobs!

FORD MOTOR COMPANY IS STILL MAKING A LOT OF MONEY! They will make a huge amount of money in the next five years! Will they creat more JOBS in the USA, Hell NO!

To the guys from Batavia, What are you planning to do? Take the 100,000, and go to school for free! How can this be done? It's simple, you live off of the 100,000 next year. Then in 2008, you go and apply for welfare from the State of Ohio. If your married, have your spouse quit working, If you have kids, you'll receive assistance for them. They will pay for your college. Your family will have insurance. All you have to do is not get a job! Let the State pay your bills! If your serious about going to School. You'll have a degree in a few years. This type of thing happens every year in Ohio. If you take time and visit a few area colleges, you'll see kids driving new cars, and living in nice apartments, and going to school for free. Yeah, it's not going to make you proud, but you'll get a free education. When your finished with school, You won't have any student loans to pay back! In this day and age, It takes longer than 4 years to get a degree! Do your research!

Call me (Mickey Mouse) if you choose, there is nothing I can do to convince anyone on this board I'm not Mickey. Yes, variators were going to X-tech to be milled. They were picked up several times every day right behind the 944 drop line. The ring gears for the reverse clutch were going to Metalex to be re-broached because we didnt have the programing in the broach to re-mill an already milled part. They are set for blanks only!

OHIOLOCAL863, you can get a college degree in two years. Its called an Associates degree. In four years, its called a Bachelores degree. In six years, its called a Masters degree. In eights years its called a Doctrine or known as a Doctors degree. The term 'Doctor' as we have known it to be, it is really not the correct term, it should be a Physician. Many people can be a Doctor, such as teachers, buisinessman, engineers and the likes. Even the irony of RN nurses having to have a Doctrine degree to be an RN nurse.

As for going on the welfare system, if one elects the EDOPP program, then they couldnt go onto the welfare system because of the 50% wage stipend. The living stipend is just for that, LIVING!

Lets use the base wage of $26.09 for example. 50% (.50) X 2080 (52 weeks times 40 hours) X $26.09 ( base wage w/o COLA).

.50 X 2080 = 1040 X $26.09 = $27,133.60 GROSS

The National Poverty Level for 6 people in the house is $25,870, so therefore not qualifying for welfare! Very few homes have more than 6 people per home. And yes, you have to be below the poverty levels to be eligible for any welfare assistance. Why do you think the middle class is considered middle class, they live above the poverty levels, but way below what is considered rich!

National Poverty Level

At the college I attended, those that did have cars, usually they belonged to their parents. And those nice apartments are usually refurbished dorms. The kids that live off campus usually work 2 jobs and have about $40,000 - $60,000 in college loans. And yes, you can use those loans to pay for housing!

Yes, variators were going to X-tech to be milled. They were picked up several times every day right behind the 944 drop line.

Funny i worked there for 2 years and have never heard of X-Tech, have heard of Metalex. Think i would have known about them being picked up several times a day. Unless you are thinking of the uncoming raw parts. I ran everything from OP10 to OP100/OP140.. never knew of them leaving. Unless your thinking of the CFT23 which wasn't done by us. It was Metalex or Metadine or something like that.

GETTLEFINGER AND CO.

The 6F trans ,its lower cost ,better MPG,and more robust

Funny i worked there for 2 years and have never heard of X-Tech, have heard of Metalex. Think i would have known about them being picked up several times a day. Unless you are thinking of the uncoming raw parts. I ran everything from OP10 to OP100/OP140.. never knew of them leaving. Unless your thinking of the CFT23 which wasn't done by us. It was Metalex or Metadine or something like that.

Ask anyone in material handling. They will tell you that variators where picked up at X-10 and sent to X-Tech to be re-milled. From what I knew, the tool broke in the machine and once again, the parts couldnt be re-milled because they mills were set for blanks (un-cut parts) because they were guaged going in. They were sent to X-Tech to be finish milled by hand.

Ring gears for the reverse clutch (assembled in the converter housing line) were sent to Metalex to knock the high crown off the gear tooth. Those too had to be done by hand. Some had to be put back through the pot broach to even out the cut. R1, R2, R4 gears where sent to Michigan to knock the high crown off them also.

Hey Mickey,

I didn't say anything about taking the Educational buyout. I said take the lump sum of 100,000 and live off of it during the year of 2007. Then in year 2008, you go and apply for College.

For your information, I fully understand the levels of degrees in college. I actully have one. If you can afford to go full-time to school and live off of that 26,000, Why wouldn't you just take the 100,000 and get a job and then take night classes? What will you do, if Ford files for bankruptcy? Your going to be SOL! That's why I say take the larger amount upfront and run to the bank, and invest in the highest account possible! If your wise you will break it up into three or four different banking institutions!

BTVtoSHV: If your not really MICKEY, then how do you know about the material handling job? I do recall seeing (Mickey) do that job!

I don't really care if your Mickey or not! I just think it's funny how the things you post, seem so much like the things he would say!

Hey Mickey,

I didn't say anything about taking the Educational buyout. I said take the lump sum of 100,000 and live off of it during the year of 2007. Then in year 2008, you go and apply for College.

For your information, I fully understand the levels of degrees in college. I actully have one. If you can afford to go full-time to school and live off of that 26,000, Why wouldn't you just take the 100,000 and get a job and then take night classes? What will you do, if Ford files for bankruptcy? Your going to be SOL! That's why I say take the larger amount upfront and run to the bank, and invest in the highest account possible! If your wise you will break it up into three or four different banking institutions!

BTVtoSHV: If your not really MICKEY, then how do you know about the material handling job? I do recall seeing (Mickey) do that job!

I don't really care if your Mickey or not! I just think it's funny how the things you post, seem so much like the things he would say!

First of all, I dont know Mickey personally, do you? How do you know what he would say unless you know him personally? Mickey only posted 1 time on this forum that I have seen. His posting was because someone thought he was posting and he seemed like he cleared that up. He even gave phone numbers if someone needed to speak with him. I dont know the guy and I dont know you. I just pay attention to my suroundings and read my contracts. It seems that whenever I post on here, a bunch are right there to shoot me down, then a day or say later what I have posted seems to be true. Kinda funny, after you posted negativly, then you go back the next day, do some investigation of my post, you find out, hey, 'BTVtoSHV was right!' How about that!

As for the material handling job, I too did that job for about 12 weeks. I then moved on to another job within the building. I'm not sure if 'Mickey' worked in the dept or not. I dont recall anyone with that name, but I didnt know everyone in the dept.

I'm not saying I'm the foremost authority for info, but I do get alot of it. I knew the people in GEN this week was out of GEN just as fast as they went in. The people in GEN were going to be used to train the people from SHV, but the people in GEN couldnt run the machines. GEN is paid out of the GEN fund, therefore not allowing to do any production work. Production work is out of the regular plant payroll. Believe me, you want to be on the regular plant payroll for as long as you can and preserve the GEN fund for as long as you can.

It only takes a birdy who sings loud. You just got to pay attention to the song he sings!