This post is for the techs and for the law enforcement folks that follow this forum. I was wondering what problems (if any) with transmissions have popped up with 2006 PI's. I currently drive a 2006 and the tranny just went out the other day with barely over 17K on the odometer. This car is barely ever used on emergency runs as my car partner and I are supervisors. So, in our entire fleet this is one of about a half dozen that get pampered a bit more than the normal patrol fleet.

When the problem appeared, it was a minor slipping as the car was shifting above 35-40 MPH. After it did that a few times the car was parked for a while. Later in the shift the car was used on a about a ten mile ride, non-emergency. On that return, the top end of the tranny went out and the car had to be limped back to the barn in low gear.

When I spoke to our property Sgt (fleet manager), he informed me that a tech at the dealership told him this is a problem and that in some places 2006 PI's have lost trannies getting unloaded from the transporter. I don't know if I want to believe that one so that's why I'm asking the forum.

Please, I don't want to hear about Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford, or what Mustang drivetrain/engine wish-list item should be in a police car, etc. I really want to know if this tranny issue is something that is a real problem (or did I just have a bad one from the get go), should we be expecting this in our other 2006's (we have 8), what is the real part problem/failure, and what is Ford doing about it?

Any help is appreciated and I can pass the info along to the fleet manager. Thanks.

A friend of mine is a S.C. State trooper and drives an '06 CV, he was hoping for a Charger. Last time I talked with him it had over 20,000 miles on it with no problems. He said they haven't seen any trends/problems with the 05's/06's but a few years back they had problems with engines cutting out at wide open throttle.

PITrippin,

I don't think you are going to have the same problems with the other units you have. That transmission may have been one that wasn't going to make it.

Contamination is often the cause of improper shifting and slipping. There are 3 types of contamination, 1) machining and assy, 2) wear , 3) ingested.

Better filtration is the 1 way to control all contamination. Ford offers an in-line magnetic filter, that they only install when the vehicle has a Reman Trans installed. If your vehicle gets either a New or Remanufactured Trans, make sure it has the filter, and it is installed correctly. It should be installed in the cooler line.

As for the rest of your fleet, you should consider adding the improved magnetic filters to the Transmissions and power steering for better operational reliability and lower cost of maintenance.

The Ford part number is, XC3Z-7B155-BA for the filter or XC3Z-7B155-CA for the kit.

Good luck.

Thanks,

That's on the order of what I was looking for. They shopped the car for a couple days for diagnosis and a temporary fix. Then it went back for what I was told was new tranny and tranny cooler as it was under warranty. I'll check your post against what was done and see if they put the filter in. As it sits now, it is running fine.

Again, thanks for a good reply.