07 Expeditons Are The Beeessst!!!!!

proman

Well Ray and Tiff:

I finally got it and I do absolutely love it. All the descriptions that I have been reading for a month are true. I have never had an expy ride as smooth and tight as the 07. It is so quiet that it is hard to believe that you are in such a large vehicle. I could just go on and on.

Tiff, since you have had previous expys, do you think this is the best sound system the expy has had. I really am amazed as to how great mine sounds.

Ray, I remember when you said that you attempted to get your RSC to come on but couldn't. Well I tried too by going around curves faster, etc. I think that the system is just constantly in action and that is why we don't get the dips, etc. I did put 470 miles on mine this weekenc. I put it on smooth rodes, rough rodes, put in the highway so I could do 75 and it passed all the test.

You guys probably thought I was dumb as dirt when I posted about my daytime running lights. This is what happened. I happen to be outside when the carrier brought my expy to the dealership, it's just across the street. I noticed the lights came on when the driver started my truck to get it off the carrier. Now by the time all the paperwork was done and the expy was cleaned up, it was around 5:30pm eastern time. When I started the truck all the lights came on of course. The next morning when I left for work, I noticed how well I could see the the radio, outside temp, etc. It hit me, that if my lights were on that these dials should be dimmer. So I stopped the truck ( put it in Park ) and verified yeah my lights aren't working. The salesman had not explained how the lights operated and since I had never had daytime lights before, I just didn't know. IN other words, There was never anything wrong with my lights. However, when the guy brought it back to me he related that the lights just worked if the truck was in gear but he added that they didn't work in park anymore. That's when I posted you guys thinking that something was still amiss about my lights. I probably looked like I was in an Abbot and Costello film clip. Just think about it. My lights are on, I put the truck in park and check my lights which are now not on etc, etc, etc.

Well I could just go on and on and on but I'll stop until I hear from you guys which means I can start again. Both of you were right, it was well worth the wait and I am by no means disappointed.

Mike :happy feet:

Mike- You crack me up... Dont feel like an idiot about the lights, I just learned that they didnt work about 2 days before you writing in!!! Its a learning experience for sure but so worth it! As for the best expy of all the years, YES it is. I had the 99 and 03 and this just blows them away. I finally saw another EL yesterday but it was just my In Laws and I was impressed at how nice the XLT looked. As for the sound, yes it is AWESOME... WE took a drive yesterday through the mountains in the rain and I let hubby drive it and he loved it.. Couldnt believe the power and how it handles. He has an 06 F150 and is so jealous... hahaha The kids were watching Little Mermaid in the car and when the bass would hit, it was amazing!!! Better than our home surround system.

So Mike were are your pictures???? Hehehe

Mike- You crack me up... Dont feel like an idiot about the lights, I just learned that they didnt work about 2 days before you writing in!!! Its a learning experience for sure but so worth it! As for the best expy of all the years, YES it is. I had the 99 and 03 and this just blows them away. I finally saw another EL yesterday but it was just my In Laws and I was impressed at how nice the XLT looked. As for the sound, yes it is AWESOME... WE took a drive yesterday through the mountains in the rain and I let hubby drive it and he loved it.. Couldnt believe the power and how it handles. He has an 06 F150 and is so jealous... hahaha The kids were watching Little Mermaid in the car and when the bass would hit, it was amazing!!! Better than our home surround system.

So Mike were are your pictures???? Hehehe

So Tiffiny, you had to ask about the pictures. :doh: I was about to take pictures when my son pulls up in his truck, blows his horn, this causes me to jump, drop the camera which he proceeded to run over. He started to back up and I told him no just stay where he was at because I couldn't stand the sight of camera blood in the drive way. :rant:

It will be a while before I get a new camera.

Mike -

I'm pretty sure that if the skid control program engages, a light on the dashboard (upper part, where the button is) will come on. So when I was cornering hard to enough to try to get that light on, it most definitely wasn't engaging. But, as I said, that's just a testament as to how well this thing handles!

Ok, I did have to chuckle at your story about the daytime running lights. The only reason I didn't fall prey to what you did is that I have actually read the entire owner's manual. Otherwise I may have thought the same thing.

But boy do I have a absolutely true story to tell you:

My father told me "You'll laugh about this someday - maybe not tomorrow, not in a week, or a month, but someday." He was right. But at the moment he said that, I was in no mood to laugh.

I was 20 years old and had just bought my first new car. It was an 1986 Dodge Shelby Charger. Ok, so it's not a classic. But to me it was my own Indy race car. I bought the most expensive radar detector at the time (a Passport - $299). I wore leather driving gloves when I drove it. I had the windows double-tinted, almost completely black. Being a black car with gray stripes, it looked like Darth Vader's personal transport. I bought orange construction cones and practiced cornering maneuvers at the school parking lot. I was a little excited about this car.

So, I've had the Shelby about 1 year and one of the headlights goes out. On a freezing cold Sunday in December (I lived in Wisconsin at the time) I came out of my small, 4-unit apartment building to change the headlight. Mind you, back when I still lived with my folks, whenever I borrowed any of their cars (all beaters), it typically required some sort of minor repair before I could drive it. I'd changed water pumps, fixed leaking gas tanks, starters, alternators, wiper motors....but I was still in no way a mechanic. When I performed these repairs I never had the right tools available, so it was difficult. This made me very grouchy.

But now at last, I had my new car. Changing a headlight? So simple!

I start by taking the headlamp chrome surround off. No problem. Then I undo a set of screws that I think should allow the headlight to come out. No go. Fitzing here, fuddling there....nothing. The grouchiness ensues. As I got more frustrated, I became more and more forceful with the headlight - trying to pry it out of there. This caused me to sratch the paint on the surrounding bumper and headlight recess. Soon, screwdrivers are flying, rocks are being kicked, and my overall temperment is right at boiling. Having had enough, I finally grabbed the headlight with both hands and ripped it out of the housing. Now I saw what was holding it there....a spring....a stupid-assed spring!! But now I'm an inferno, so as soon as I see the spring and tell it how stupid it is, I turn around and hurl the headlight at the nearby rocks....shattering it to pieces.

I put the new headlight in, attaching the wire harness. But now that I've stretched out and ruined the spring, the headlight would no longer be adjustable. Instead, it just flopped around in the housing, aimed towards the sky. Again, this did not make me happy. However, I went to the car door, opened it, and flipped the lights on. I walked to the front of the car to check the lights.....

I had changed the wrong headlight.

I can't imagine what my face must have looked like as the realization at what I'd done occurred to me. Then, I realized that in my fit of rage I had actually smashed a perfectly good headlight, and now still had only 1 working headlight.

As the screwdrivers, rocks, and anything else I could find were coming down from their descent (and as the neighbors were watching the crazy man through their picture windows), my dad pulled up in his car - there to watch the Bears game on TV. He asked what was wrong, and of course what I said was barely intelligible, because every other word was of the 4-letter variety. His face turned red, then redder as he tried to contain his laughter. It was at that time he said the words at the beginning of this story. And he was right!

So don't feel bad Mike.

(By the way, I've mellowed a lot since then.)

Ray

Yeah, Yeah, " I read the whole Manuel ". I had to deal with classmates like you in college - I read the whole chapter before taking the exam ". Just joking Mr. Ray, I wouldn't want to get you mad at me after hearing about what you did to that headlamp. But don't you understand that it is more fun driving down the road and guessing where the new controls have been placed and seeing how the expy handles running off the road because you're not paying attention?

I had a somewhat similar experience with my 98 expy. I had one headlamp to go out so I bought two filaments figuring the other one would follow shortly thereafter. Now heres a guy that is lucky to know how to put gas in the truck, much less work on headlamps. I ended up having both headlamps dangling and could get nothing to work. I got in the truck and drove it straight to the dealership and had them fix the lamps. I am dumb as dirt when it comes to mechanical skills.

Mike

Ray & Mike, you both had me cracking up over your headlight stories!!! Now whats worse is you could have easily gone to the dealer and it probably would have been covered!!!

Also I am with Mike on experiencing the car blind! But I did get out the manual after I couldnt find certain things. I still am learning new things. I just learned the other day how to open the moon roof, were you just pop it up! My husband was laughing at me because I was getting pissed pushing the buttons over and over so he reached over and pushed that little putton. :doh: He said it was fun watching me get frustrated! Well my 03 was different!

Ray & Mike, you both had me cracking up over your headlight stories!!! Now whats worse is you could have easily gone to the dealer and it probably would have been covered!!!

Also I am with Mike on experiencing the car blind! But I did get out the manual after I couldnt find certain things. I still am learning new things. I just learned the other day how to open the moon roof, were you just pop it up! My husband was laughing at me because I was getting pissed pushing the buttons over and over so he reached over and pushed that little putton. :doh: He said it was fun watching me get frustrated! Well my 03 was different!

Okay Tiff. If both you and Ray are now reading the manuel, I guess I'll give it a try. Where's it located. :shades:

Edited by proman

Mike -

Ok, so now you know. I am an admitted manual reader. I belong to MRA (Manual Reader's Anonymous). I have tried to cut back, but it's no use. They're coming out with a patch soon.

Tiffany, don't you know that the glove box in the new Expy is hermetically sealed? There's no WAY that it has dust in it. You could store surgical utensils in there. I use it as an incubator. I believe if Mike sits in his Expy, with his seat adjusted comfortably, hands and 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, stereo volume on way high, and clicks his heels 3 times....the manual will magically appear in the center console.

:shift:

Mike -

Ok, so now you know. I am an admitted manual reader. I belong to MRA (Manual Reader's Anonymous). I have tried to cut back, but it's no use. They're coming out with a patch soon.

Tiffany, don't you know that the glove box in the new Expy is hermetically sealed? There's no WAY that it has dust in it. You could store surgical utensils in there. I use it as an incubator. I believe if Mike sits in his Expy, with his seat adjusted comfortably, hands and 10 and 2 on the steering wheel, stereo volume on way high, and clicks his heels 3 times....the manual will magically appear in the center console.

:shift:

MRA, that's good Ray, I like that. Well tried your method of locating the manual but it didn't work. I kept running off the highway while trying to click my heels. Ha Ha.

I'm sure you, Tiff, and other 07 expy owners know this already. I really like how the daytime running lights are so sensitive. By that I mean coming on automatically during certain outside conditions. When coming to work this morning I noticed that my fog lights had come on in addition to the head lamps. I keep mine on the daylight running at all times. What made me happy was the fact that it was cloudy this morning and a little foggybut it was no where like dark clouds. However, the sensor turned the fogs on also and that was really cool to me. I had started to turn the manuel lights on so I could use the fogs when I noticed they had already come on. I did not have daytime running lights on the 05 expy and the automatic lights would not come on unless it was almost completely dark outside (literally). So this was a pleasant surprise to me. :yahoo: