Massive Toyota Recall Affects Nearly One Million

06StangAwesomecar

See that just SUCKS, was it union (doubt it) sorry to here that, I dont care if its union or not, what they do for the almighty dollar blows.
No it wasn't union. But the management would lie like dogs even when you had them caught dead to rights. Tyco has hit rock bottom and they deserve to.

A steering part should not fail...ever, under any circumstances or design. PERIOD. Tie rod ends and ball joints wear, power steering pumps fail, and rack and pinions and steering boxes have to be replaced, and I understand that.

It IS hard to imagine that when the column was being designed that torsional limits weren't probed. That's

in the same ballpark as a frame that just happened to bend or sag in the middle because of a particularly hard bump. I would think, not being an enginneer, that a part is designed and then stressed to DOUBLE what it would EVER see in the real world. Perhaps that is NOT Toyota's design philosophy. Maybe they build in JUST enough strength for maximum use to keep every component at its lowest possible weight.

A steering part should not fail...ever, under any circumstances or design. PERIOD. Tie rod ends and ball joints wear, power steering pumps fail, and rack and pinions and steering boxes have to be replaced, and I understand that.

HOWEVER, if someone told me that I had to accept that the company which made my car may have designed a piece of metal in the steering system that would break or fracture under normal use due to it's inadequacy, I would trade that car in TODAY!!!

Can you please, just admit, that in this case, this case of not a check engine light, or air bag sensor, or automatic transmission programming malfunction, but STEERING SHAFT, that Toyota blew it?

"Toyota said there have been no reported crashes or injuries connected to the problem in the United States."

I agree it seems like a bad problem, but 0 problems out of 170,000 vehicles is still pretty position to be issuing a recall. Any part on any vehicle could hypothetically fail and cause a problem - even if it's not a defective design, there's no way to guarantee every part no matter how fundamental will perform in 100% of cases...that's why there are lemons.

Bottomline as I see it: 0:170,000 is better odds than the odds of having an oil change fire in a CR-V ^_^

uh-oh I'm turning into range... :sos: