Expedition Fuel Gauge

ELlover

Well, I guess there is a first time for everything. I have never in my life run out of gas!!! So some of you know that the new Expy's gauge is a little conservative, well DON'T TRUST IT!!! The past few fill ups I have been testing to see how low I can go. Usually when the light comes on I have approx. 8 gallons left. This came on 3 days ago and I reset my mileage to 0 just like I have been, well I went a total of 60 miles and this morning when I went to take my son to school we ran out of gas. :banghead: Now over the past few fill ups I have been able to go at least 120-150 miles after the light comes on, well not this time. I was SOOOOO embarrassed and had to explain why I was so low... NEVER again will I do it...

On a good note- while I was leaving the gas station this morning i pulled up next to another Limited EL Expy!!!!!!! This is the first time I have seen one on the road since I bought it in October!!! I tried to catch her but she had a lead foot!!! Glad I am not the only one. :beerchug:

Sorry you went through that Tiff. At least it wasn't dark and in the middle of no where.

You know, if you check the "glove box", I bet that manual will explain how to use the gas gauge.

Just Joking, Mike

Manual??? You mean that book my 7 year old has been reading? :read:

Yes least I wasnt stuck some where bad or dark... My neighbor came and rescued me, laughing the whole time too.

Oh Ya every car is different but what really got me is the miles till empty and the fact that when the light comes on we usually have 8 gallons. Hubby thinks it had to do with the fact that I was on a steep hill and only approx. 3-4 gallons left. So I now learned to always just keep it full... The light comes on when we have 2 gallons left in the 06 F150 so I prefer the 8 gallons.

You know, if you check the "glove box", I bet that manual will explain how to use the gas gauge.

Mike, that was so harsh! :slug:

Sorry about that Tiff. I must admit I feel somewhat responsible, since I have mentioned the gas gauge a few times in the posts. Thanks for letting us all know, and I will be more careful too!

Ray

Mike, that was so harsh! :slug:

Sorry about that Tiff. I must admit I feel somewhat responsible, since I have mentioned the gas gauge a few times in the posts. Thanks for letting us all know, and I will be more careful too!

Ray

Nah not your fault... I like to push it sometimes and I guess I learned... I was talking with my Mom and hubby today about it and we think there might actually be a fuel pump issue so we will see. I'm not letting that thing get lower then 1/2 for a while...

My '98 Expy's light comes on at 1/8 of a tank. My girlfriend's '04 Explorer's light comes on as the last fumes are wafting through the tank. :doh:

JW I just noticed you live in the same city as I.. Small world...

The trick is to refill the btank as soon as the light comes on, so you can determine what you do have left.

It is actually not a good idea to let the tank regularly run low, since the gasoline is all that cools the in-tank fuel pump. Also, the lower the fuel level, the more air there is in the tank to hold the moisture that will condense into the gasoline when the temperature drops.

don't the lights "learn"? I thought they do .. I might be wrong .. but it is possible, that the car noticed that you managed ti dive over 160 miles after the light went on, and adjust ed the point to come on later ..

I might be smoking crack, but I thought cars do this,

Igor

don't the lights "learn"? I thought they do .. I might be wrong .. but it is possible, that the car noticed that you managed ti dive over 160 miles after the light went on, and adjust ed the point to come on later ..

I might be smoking crack, but I thought cars do this,

Igor

I believe it learns as you get better gas mileage, but each car is set to come on at a certain time. I think the reason why the Expy EL comes on with approx. 8 gallons left if because the tank is so large and if you are parked on a hill it all flows to the back. Since I had approx 3 gallons left and on the hill it didnt register any gas. So lesson learned, will not let it get low like that anymore. :doh:

The trick is to refill the btank as soon as the light comes on, so you can determine what you do have left.

It is actually not a good idea to let the tank regularly run low, since the gasoline is all that cools the in-tank fuel pump. Also, the lower the fuel level, the more air there is in the tank to hold the moisture that will condense into the gasoline when the temperature drops.

I always thought it was good to run it low once in a while to sort of get the old crap out... But that does make sense with the air and all. Luckly I dont like back east were it gets really cold...

As for filling right when the light comes on, I have and I get exactly 26 gallons and this is a 34 gallon tank. But 26 gallons in a lot cheaper than 34.

JW I just noticed you live in the same city as I.. Small world...

Keep an eye out for a blue Expy, probably covered in mud :D or a black Ranger with varying degrees of body work, as I take it out once in a while to help keep a charge on the battery.