HVC parts depot's

vicious1

First, I just want to say Happy Holidays to my fellow UAW brothers/sisters, and to wish you guys the best of luck on whatever decisions you have chosen. Myself, well, I have chosen to separate after 10 plus but less than 30years.

For those that are sticking around and have a opportunity to post for (Ford's best kept secret) HVC sites, jump for the chance. These are free effort jobs (not tied to a "line", no requesting bathroom calls). It's almost like working in a supermarket (stocking shelves on Am shift/ picking on Pm shift). You work (most) holidays like x-mas week and convert the time to personal days, for ex; instead of working for triple time, you work at double time and the Holiday (8hrs) is banked as a personal day to be used in the future. Nice feature.

Come January you'll need 10 years plus to be days in Wash D.C. , Cranbury NJ, and Hartford CT with all the buyouts. Just think, as long as FoMoCo produces vehicles (no matter what country) you will always need parts.

Good luck to all of you, I'm outta here.

Now cut that check :party2:

First, I just want to say Happy Holidays to my fellow UAW brothers/sisters, and to wish you guys the best of luck on whatever decisions you have chosen. Myself, well, I have chosen to separate after 10 plus but less than 30years.

For those that are sticking around and have a opportunity to post for (Ford's best kept secret) HVC sites, jump for the chance. These are free effort jobs (not tied to a "line", no requesting bathroom calls). It's almost like working in a supermarket (stocking shelves on Am shift/ picking on Pm shift). You work (most) holidays like x-mas week and convert the time to personal days, for ex; instead of working for triple time, you work at double time and the Holiday (8hrs) is banked as a personal day to be used in the future. Nice feature.

Come January you'll need 10 years plus to be days in Wash D.C. , Cranbury NJ, and Hartford CT with all the buyouts. Just think, as long as FoMoCo produces vehicles (no matter what country) you will always need parts.

That sounds good but, how long before Ford gets rid of the HVC's?

As a soon to be semi-retired HVC worker let me first say that everyone outside the HVC system always refer to us as a "country club" setting.

The truth is it's not.

Grant it, it is more of a free effort job than being on a line, but by all means it is not like stocking shelves at the local Shoprite.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone at all, in fact, if you can get into an HVC I say go for it. Hey a job is a job ,right? I have to say though from all the guys I have met over the years that came from assembly plants, they(most anyway) say they would rather work the line. It's not so much the actual job as it is the lack of togetherness you get with a larger group of workers. Remember HVC's are small compared to assembly. You got some dead wood and guess who has to pick up the slack.You can't miss installing a windshield and let some other guy get it down the line, if you catch my drift.

Oh sure there are more freedoms, per say as opposed to the line, I.E. whenever you need bathroom breaks,Holiday conversions,etc. but there are internal pitfalls as well. I won't waste your time explaining as you need to work the job to understand what I mean.

Lastly I again,am not trying to discourage anyone to try to get into an HVC and I hope some of you guys can get to where you want to go. I just wanted to respond and let you all know it is not the country club that everyone thinks it is.

I want to wish everyone well today and in the future!!

Ford was good to me and I hope they pull out of this mess and get back to the top.

GOOD LUCK to all

That sounds good but, how long before Ford gets rid of the HVC's?

I wouldn't say that couldn't happen but, why would they (FoMoCo) get rid of probably the only thing that still makes a profit in N. America. They would just go back to their old ways of doing business and consolidate buildings again.

Then again, this is Ford Motor Co. (you guys should know what I mean) ;)

U forgot to tell them about the people on layoff at 2 of the 3 hvc's you mentioned. The buyouts at these facilities will probably just get the desired # of workers at each facility.

Never say never, ALOT of companies today, especially those who have had the TEAMSTERS running their warehouse and parts distribution/logistics systems have since contracted them out to firms that do this as their main businesses. Non union contract distribution systems have really done a job on the Teamsters.

If they are to stay a part of U.A.W. Ford it will have to be the U.A.W. that stands up against such an effort.to contract out this work.......MARK MY WORD THAY CAN DO IT We all must be competitive. :drop:

U forgot to tell them about the people on layoff at 2 of the 3 hvc's you mentioned. The buyouts at these facilities will probably just get the desired # of workers at each facility.

OOOpps my bad. How could've I forgotten about the future retiree's on inverse TLO and the 28 year bridge people. My sincere apologies to all.

Sure, maybe they'll get their numbers for UAW buyouts, but remember they are also bringing in temps. Fact is they're still late on grid times (most, if not) all the time on P.m shift, even though most of your senior people are on A.m. shift. Of course they'll work those temps to death, and eventually pit the temps #'s with UAW brothers and sisters #'s. And you know how those temps love to impress :kissass:

Imao I think they'll (FoMoCo) get more #'s than expected and thus, more opportunities will be knocking for people in Gen, transfers, and the flowback'rs.

Peace out :speedie:

:heartbreaker: As far as I know the hvc's arent hiring anyone but temps and that's just to see if they need them. Yeah , they could try and pit the temps against us but they will fail at that too. They have a business to run . Selling , I could see them trying to sell some if not most of the business to a non-union carrier and trying to maintain the same service . Not that easy though and Ford is famous for "trying" things and then going back to the original setup. The hvc setup is working well and the money is great for them. We have never worked so hard either. Believe me the old setup was much closer to the earlier posts. Not here! :banghead: They are obviously up to something company wide. Look at united , a few years ago bankrupt and now buying or "merging" with continental???? I know some people who got :slap: at united and now everything is fine right???? You dont think Ford is watching that???? :reading: The next few years will tell the tale for ALL of us believe me , I just hope we can all retire here . By the skin of our teeth!!!

As far as I know the hvc's arent hiring anyone but temps and that's just to see if they need them. Yeah , they could try and pit the temps against us but they will fail at that too.

Yeah right....... Don't you think the "stupervisors" check the w3 screen every chance they get? I guess they'll just figure they hit the Temp pool jackpot.

Temps: pick 900 lines

Uaw hourly: pick 450 lines

Of course we've had temps in the past, but, imao I think this "situation" is alot worse. Temps have always done more than the regulars so don't be so sure that would never happen. Think again, and as most HVC's locals are amalgamated (powerless), our/yours building chairperson's and so called committee people a.k.a. yes men would just throw us under the bus. What are they gonna do? Strike? Yeah right..LOL. They'll just tell you to do more :whipped:

Remember, some, if not all, work in "leased" buildings. Here today, gone in a heartbeat :heartbreaker:

Good luck to you.

2 more weeks and counting :headspin:

Maybe I could get some information from those of you who are experienced in the HVC system? I currently work at an ACH facility in southern Mich. with seniority of 4/90, and have put in for flowback to HVC's across the country. I will list them in order of preference.

1) Denver

2) Phoenix

3) Portland

4) Memphis

5) Lakeland, Fla.

I'm not very confident on being able to flow, based on the low plant population of HVC's, but would really appreciate ANY information on the #'s of openings at ANY of these facilities. Also, I'm a little apprehensive about moving from a town, and area, that I have grown up in my entire life, the past 39 years. So I would appreciate information about the lifestyle and living conditions of any of the areas listed. It doesn't have to be specifics, just an overview would be nice.

Not afraid of the work involved, I've been bustin my butt for years welding catalytic converters and building driveshafts, but would also enjoy hearing some stories of the daily grind.

Some people say I'm crazy signing up to move across the country, some people say I have big Kahuna's. I say that I don't have much of a choice. My plant is scheduled to be closed in 08' and I think this is a great opportunity to free myself from this rusted graveyard of the auto industry.

Thanks to all who post on this site, it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Maybe I could get some information from those of you who are experienced in the HVC system? I currently work at an ACH facility in southern Mich. with seniority of 4/90, and have put in for flowback to HVC's across the country. I will list them in order of preference.

1) Denver

2) Phoenix

3) Portland

4) Memphis

5) Lakeland, Fla.

I'm not very confident on being able to flow, based on the low plant population of HVC's, but would really appreciate ANY information on the #'s of openings at ANY of these facilities. Also, I'm a little apprehensive about moving from a town, and area, that I have grown up in my entire life, the past 39 years. So I would appreciate information about the lifestyle and living conditions of any of the areas listed. It doesn't have to be specifics, just an overview would be nice.

Not afraid of the work involved, I've been bustin my butt for years welding catalytic converters and building driveshafts, but would also enjoy hearing some stories of the daily grind.

Some people say I'm crazy signing up to move across the country, some people say I have big Kahuna's. I say that I don't have much of a choice. My plant is scheduled to be closed in 08' and I think this is a great opportunity to free myself from this rusted graveyard of the auto industry.

Thanks to all who post on this site, it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Stay away from #2 since I hear they are presently on one shift, and rumor has it they will be shifting their work somewhere else. It definately sucks to move once, let alone twice.

Lakeland, Fl. well don't we all wish. You would be lucky to be on day shift with 25 years. The other 3 I don't know too much about.

If you've been "bustin your butt for years welding catalytic converters and building driveshafts" get ready for clean work. You either stockkeep (a.m. shift) or pick orders (p.m. shift). Parts are either boxed, bagged or "metal parts" (like catalytic converters) come in metal baskets, like the ones you guys use. 16 years should get you day shift on the East coast if it is offered. D.C. HVC, Hartford Ct, and Cranbury NJ should definately land you on days (sorry guys). Plenty of machines to operate, for ex; forklifts, reachtrucks and stock chasers.

Hope this helps... peace :speedie:

Edited by vicious1

Stay away from #2 since I hear they are presently on one shift, and rumor has it they will be shifting their work somewhere else. It definately sucks to move once, let alone twice.

Lakeland, Fl. well don't we all wish. You would be lucky to be on day shift with 25 years. The other 3 I don't know too much about.

If you've been "bustin your butt for years welding catalytic converters and building driveshafts" get ready for clean work. You either stockkeep (a.m. shift) or pick orders (p.m. shift). Parts are either boxed, bagged or "metal parts" (like catalytic converters) come in metal baskets, like the ones you guys use. 16 years should get you day shift on the East coast if it is offered. D.C. HVC, Hartford Ct, and Cranbury NJ should definately land you on days (sorry guys). Plenty of machines to operate, for ex; forklifts, reachtrucks and stock chasers.

Hope this helps... peace :speedie:

Temps and maybe 5 Gen guys from Edison wit 27 years. D.C. dont unpack your bags too quick. Ct lookin like more wit less :ohsnap: BTW plenty of machines is less than 20.

Edited by IPITYDAFOOL VIRUSFREE

BTW plenty of machines is less than 20.

Bad choice of words on my part, I forget who I'm dealing with. I guess the next guy will say they have 25 machines. :finger:

Truth is there should be more than adequate machines depending on the area you work in. That should only be in bulk (pallets, black baskets, metal baskets, heavy boxed parts and loose metal parts).

Bin (bagged/or small parts), no machines- your on foot, not that I haven't seen anyone attempt to get one in there.. ooopss

Obviously your not going to have everyone working Bulk area.

Imao, we shall see after the new year how many postings will be available :speedie:

Bad choice of words on my part, I forget who I'm dealing with. I guess the next guy will say they have 25 machines. :finger:

Truth is there should be more than adequate machines depending on the area you work in. That should only be in bulk (pallets, black baskets, metal baskets, heavy boxed parts and loose metal parts).

Bin (bagged/or small parts), no machines- your on foot, not that I haven't seen anyone attempt to get one in there.. ooopss

Obviously your not going to have everyone working Bulk area.

Imao, we shall see after the new year how many postings will be available :speedie:

:redcard::stirpot::redcard: People u have a better chance at getting into Augusta National Country Club than the HVC's. :drop::doh::drop:

:hysterical: lol :hysterical: lol :hysterical: lol

Be real......are you just worried that people with more time will keep you on nights??????????

Nope. SFP and CIS will ensure minimal if any new full-time employees in HVC's. Also its election year and I cant see Chairman giving his Chairmainship away. :drop::ohsnap: Im still waiting for the replacement people from the attrition of the last 2 years. " We are going to have to do more with less" Plant Manager Quote. " " Union Quote

Edited by IPITYDAFOOL VIRUSFREE

I appreciate all of the opinions that have been posted so far. I knew that this would be the best place to get the information that I needed, along with some truth. My local union officials don't want to be bothered with those of us who are leaving. I believe the quote was " I'm going to worry about the people who are staying, NOT the ones who are leaving"....we're ALL leaving eventually idiot, the plant is scheduled to close in 08'....but anyway....

Like I said in my earlier post, getting into an HVC isn't going to be easy with the small plant populations. I'm kind of basing my optimism on the slim, but yet reasonable assumption that many of the high seniority folks that are currently working will see the Ford wide buyout as a one time opportunity to retire with an addded cash incentive, and leave now. There was also a low number of ACH people who even signed up for the flowback (less competition). My plant had about 200 production sign, but most are staying in the Detroit region. Not too many want to relocate across the country, and I'm going to assume the same is true in other regions as well, thus increasing my odds slightly.

Again guys, and girls, let me say thanks and please keep the info coming. The house and boat are going on the market as I write this cuz the times are changin' for most of us.

:shrug: I don't know what will happen and I am sure that most on this site don't wish any harm to anyone trying to do what is right for their family. From where I sit the chances are slim. While it's true that the top seinority people are taking the buyouts , we NEEDED to drop around the number of people we have signed up! :stop: That will put us where ford thinks we need to be. The jobs are better in my opinion than those in many other plants , but they are still warehouse work and what I said in an earlier post here stands. NO fear hear about getting to one shift or another , too many more important things to worry about right now :titanic: Do what you think is best for you and yours and just take all of this in and make the best decision you can. Good luck !

More work with less employees is what is being said over and over, from depot managers and the union. They are going to scrape by with as few people as possible, or managers are going to get that tap on the shoulder. I wouldn't hold my breath for nj, dc, or hartford. These three buildings are going to be expected to set the standard for running lean and effective. I'm not trying to bullshit you, just telling it like it is.