New problem with my '99 Cobra

Hisss 99

I have been experiencing a new problem lately. My Cobra will go into theft mode and not start. I have fuel pressure and the starter will crank so I am guessing that the ignition system is deactivated.

One time I disconnected the battery for 24 hours and that reset it but this time it will not reset.

I have tried both keys. I have armed and disarmed the alarm system many times hoping that this would help .........but nothing. :censored:

Could this be a problem caused by my chip?

Is it possible that the I.D. chip in the keys have failed somehow?

Let's see if we can revive this place with a technical question. :sos:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hisss 99 :shades:

Could be that the keys lost their association with the transponder in the vehicle. Probably going to have to haul it to a dealer and have them reprogram the keys for the computer. :doh:

Good luck!

I hope that this is not the case but luckly my wife works at an SVT dealer. I will ask the SVT rep if that can happen.

Thanks for the suggestion

Well I think I may have solved the problem. 3 days and counting without issue.

I had decided to remove the chip from the brain to see if there was an issue there. When I pulled the brain out I noticed that the ground from the brain harness to the body was broken. I extended the wire because is was to short to just put a connector on. I soldiered and heat shrink wrapped the extention and soldiered the eyelet connector on as well (might as well make it a perminent fix).

The car started right up and has not given me any trouble since.

My fingers are crossed. :happy feet:

Well I think I may have solved the problem. 3 days and counting without issue.

I had decided to remove the chip from the brain to see if there was an issue there. When I pulled the brain out I noticed that the ground from the brain harness to the body was broken. I extended the wire because is was to short to just put a connector on. I soldiered and heat shrink wrapped the extention and soldiered the eyelet connector on as well (might as well make it a perminent fix).

The car started right up and has not given me any trouble since.

My fingers are crossed. :happy feet:

Same thing happened to mine, it was the transponder, which I have not yet installed. If mine does this, I just tilt the steering wheel up and back down hard and it cranks.. laziness on my part for not installed the new part, which is sitting in the basement..

The car has done it again. The funny thing is it appears not to start when it is cold out. I tried to drive the car to work on Friday but it wouldn't start. When I got home from work I went out to humor myself and it started. Tried to start it this morning (Saturday) and it would not start. Haven't tried since this morning.

Thanks Bad Pony, I will definately look into that.

I will get a transponder and get it installed. My wife works at an SVT dealer so I can get it and have it installed for half price.

Hisss 99 B)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this is getting funny.

I have narrowed it down to a temperature thing. The car will not start in the morning when it is cold but will start in the afternoon or evening. The earliest I have been able get it to start is about eleven in the morning. I even left a 60 watt light on in the car overnight to see if that would help........nothing!

I guess I will have to wait until it warms up around here to drive the car.

Does any one think that the transponder would cause this temp quirk?

Where is the transponder located? I am assuming in the streering column.

Will the computer log the vent and tell what the failure was (ie. PATS activiation....).

Thanks once agin for the help!