I mentioned the manifold recall thing on the "panthers" to an elder relative. I described how Ford had used a plastic part, roughly where its situated and the $735 price tag.

Then I mentioned that theres a guy on the net selling CNC machined all aluminum manifolds ( essentially custom made ) for the same price.

When I explained the plastic part, they asked if this part was on their Ford as well. I pointed out theirs was an older design with metal parts. They then looked at me and said;

"Can't you see? Its So Obvious! Someone at Ford is channeling contracts to their pals."

I was both taken aback by the implication that Ford would allow their business to be placed at risk by some goof preferring contracts to some friend, and the obvious intelligence in the observation! In fact this relative has seen similar things ( at a now bankrupt ) large corporation where they had worked their entire lives.

When performance rated custom parts ( suitable for blowers ) cost the same as plasticrap parts and they select the deficient part... something IS very fishy...

Interesting theory.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true. Makes me wonder how much money the US Govt. is swindled out of every day. Imagine how much money a corporation like that would save with proper oversight. Then again, there are so many bean counters out there that go too far in the other direction and cut EVERYTHING in the name of profit.

If they really wanted to, they could build them like Hondas.