Vibration,tires// 07 f-150

mule

Just bought a 07 f-150 beautiful truck, however first start in the morning when you take off down the road the first 3 miles or so it vibrates really bad? It worried me at first about the torque convertor however now I think the tires are just flat spotting from sitting. No amount of warm up time in the driveway changes anything. Has anybody else had this? It has the 20" Pirelli's on it

Just bought a 07 f-150 beautiful truck, however first start in the morning when you take off down the road the first 3 miles or so it vibrates really bad? It worried me at first about the torque convertor however now I think the tires are just flat spotting from sitting. No amount of warm up time in the driveway changes anything. Has anybody else had this? It has the 20" Pirelli's on it

I had a 05 expedition that did the same thing. Initially I didn't do anything about it and it got worse ( the truck was brand new). I took it to the dealership and they found that the tires were not aligned right at the factory. After they fixed there was no other problems. It can mess up your tires quickly if they aren't aligned right, which I'm sure you know. But my point is that my alignment proved to be so bad that it had already damaged my two new front tires which the dealership replaced.

Mike

Edited by proman

I've heard a lot about the flat spotting....also when was your truck produced? We just had a design/engineering change in January and ALL trucks with 20" Pirelli's are getting a mass dampener installed on them now (probable to lessen any vibrations)

I've heard a lot about the flat spotting....also when was your truck produced? We just had a design/engineering change in January and ALL trucks with 20" Pirelli's are getting a mass dampener installed on them now (probable to lessen any vibrations)

Thanks guy's, not sure on the production date I will guess around Nov. it only has 1500 miles so I guess I'll take it in and check on the dampner

The month and year will be on the upper left corner of the 3"x5" ? decal on the drivers door or door jamb, if you need the day call the dealer you bought the truck at and give parts or service the V.I.N. and they can help. Also just my opinion but get rid of the Pirellis and try a set of Michelins, i've got about as much faith in Pirelli as i do General/Continental.

Anyone that has a serious vibration should have it checked out. However, before you get to far into suspension and new tires, try having your tires trued. Tire truing was very common years ago and there are still two alignment shops here in Clarksville, TN that do it. It's about $7.50 -$10.00 per tire.

For those of you who have never heard of this, they spin the tire on the vehicle and shave the tire with a device similar to a lathe. When they're complete the tires are perfectly round and balanced.

The manufacturing process of car tires has risen to a level of quality that in most cases would never require truing. However, large tires still can suffer in manufacturing and be slightly out of round. That in combination with flat spotting in a cold morning can make for a bouncy ride.

If you suffer from uneven wear patterns due to poor alignment and failure to rotate, this process can also help you. Once a wear pattern is established there is nothing you can do to change it short of truing. Once you've trued the cupped tire it's new all over (minus tread wear.)

If you have large oversized tires from lifting your truck this is almost essential! I guarantee you’ll love it when you get it back!

From page 8 of the 2006 F-150 owner's manual:

Note: Your vehicle is equipped with high performance tires. When first driving the vehicle after it has been parked for a period of time, you may experience a temporary ride disturbance. This is a characteristic of the tires and should be no reason for concern. The condition should correct itself within 5-15 miles of driving. If the disturbance persists, have the tires serviced by an authorized dealer.

Amazing what you can find in those manuals.

Edited by F250

• 4 weeks later...

Take the truck back to the dealer tell them you want the balance and roadforce checked and if it is off they will re index the tires. The max roadforce is 24 and if the tires were not matchmarked (Green sticker on wheel and red dot on tire) correctly it could cause vibrations or nibble