Big Honda recall

twintornados

From Business Week : businessweek.com

Honda recalls 298,231 vehicles

TOKYO

Honda Motor Co. plans to recall 298,231 vehicles across 13 models to repair a manufacturing defect that could stop the cars' engines, the company said Thursday.

Japan's No. 2 automaker is recalling the vehicles -- which were manufactured between April and October 2005 -- to fix a defect in the fuel pump relay that could stop the engine and prevent it from restarting, the company said in documents it filed with the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.

Honda said it has received no reports of any accidents or injuries. Accord and Civic passenger cars and Fit and Life minivans are among the models affected, it said.

Honda also announced plans to recall 96,061 Vamos minivans to repair an oil feed pipe defect that could cause oil to leak and, in a worst case scenario, spark a fire.

The affected vehicles were manufactured between January 2000 and March 2007, the company said, adding that it has received two reports of fires.

It was not immediately clear if any vehicles affected by either recall were sold overseas. Phones rang unanswered at Honda Thursday evening.

PS....probably wont see this on any news network.....if it was Ford, GM or Chrysler....it would be all over the news

I'm sick of hearing this.

The days of Honda and Toyota recalls being ignored by big media have been over for some time now. The only reason we may not hear anything about this particular recall is that it is unknown by your source if any of these vehicles are sold in the US.

When was the last time you heard American media covering a recall of a Ford product only sold in Europe or Australia?

That's what I thought.

Edited by NickF1011

If you are sick of hearing this...skip to the next subject.....how much coverage of the Toyota "sludge engine" problems have you heard of in popular media? None....when I worked as a service manager for a large chain of service repair facilities...it came down to "they are all good when they run, and they are all junk when they break."

Fords PSD problems are all over the news ...Honda has a world wide recall of close to 300K vehicles of all types that they make and nothing...not a peep.

Last time I rolled past a Honda dealership, accords, civics and fits all are there in the parking lot.......I didn't see any vanos though, so it may be a world wide problem

If you are sick of hearing this...skip to the next subject.....how much coverage of the Toyota "sludge engine" problems have you heard of in popular media? None....when I worked as a service manager for a large chain of service repair facilities...it came down to "they are all good when they run, and they are all junk when they break."

Fords PSD problems are all over the news ...Honda has a world wide recall of close to 300K vehicles of all types that they make and nothing...not a peep.

Last time I rolled past a Honda dealership, accords, civics and fits all are there in the parking lot.......I didn't see any vanos though, so it may be a world wide problem

You do realize that the Accord and Civic sold in NA are not the same Accord and Civic sold in the rest of the world, right? A recall affecting an Accord in Japan and Europe may very well have zero impact on the Accord sold here.

As for the Toyota sludge subject, take off your blinders. It has made quite a few waves in the media lately.

Google Results for "Toyota engine sludge"

Only 147,000 results. Hmm...

Again, when was the last time you heard CNN report on a recall on the Transit van or Mondeo?

Oh Nick......tsk tsk tsk.....Japans' Accord is NA's Acura....last time I checked, NA is on earth and thus is part of the "world wide" descriptor of the article.

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Again, they are similar, not identical. Even the Acura TL uses a completely different interior than the euro/Jap-spec Accord, so again, a recall affecting one STILL may not affect the other in all cases.

You can try to spin it all you want, but recalls affecting models sold in America by ANY automaker are getting AMERICAN press these days.

I'll ask you once again, when was the last time you heard CNN report on a European Ford recall?

I'm sick of hearing this.

The days of Honda and Toyota recalls being ignored by big media have been over for some time now. The only reason we may not hear anything about this particular recall is that it is unknown by your source if any of these vehicles are sold in the US.

When was the last time you heard American media covering a recall of a Ford product only sold in Europe or Australia?

That's what I thought.

This problem affects certain Honda models in ALL markets, including the US.

This defect has lead to over 1 million vehicles being recalled worldwide.

This same defect lead to the largest recall ever in China.

=================================

Honda fuel pump problems lead to recall of 390,000 in Japan

Automotive News is reporting that fuel pump problems dogging Honda worldwide have lead to a third recall, this time in Japan affecting some 390,000 vehicles. As we've already reported, the issue involves something leaking, something breaking and a motor that subsequently may not start. The offending part appears to be the fuel pump that could leak some type of sealant onto important wires exposed below. The sealer gunk apparently can cause the wires to break or snap eventually.

Honda has already recalled over 525,000 vehicles in China (a new record!) and 165,000 in the U.S for the same issue. The new recall affects 13 models in Japan including the Accord, Civic, Civic Hybrid, Odyssey, Life and Fit build between April and October 2005. In all, 1,080,000 vehicles have now been recalled worldwide to repair this problem.