Al Gore Trades Lexus for Hybrid Mercury

range

I'll admit that house is pretty egregious. Gore has to do the right thing and convert it into 10 units of low income housing, and move into something more like Dubbya's. Walk the walk. And the carbon credits do smack of indulgences (but are probably better than doing nothing, or denying that there's something to be done.)

When I was visiting my aunt in Germany this summer, she explained that the government has a program to encourage people to remodel their homes in a more energy-efficient manner. She received either tax breaks or outright grants (I can't remember which) to install more energy-efficient windows and doors, along with a new roof. If I recall correctly, she also had new stucco-like material applied to the exterior walls of the house (which had been stucco before).

Her house is now not only more energy efficient, but looks nicer, too.

Given that Mr. Gore is well-traveled and sincere in his beliefs, I'm surprised that he didn't do something like this to his home, and then promote it.

As for his use of the Lexus - I don't recall him ever making any statements one way or another about American cars versus Japanese cars, so taking him to task for driving a Lexus, as some apparently want to do, is pointless. I recall reading that he drove an Oldsmobile in the late 1990s, so given the depreciation hit he took when GM management pulled the plug on that brand (after running it into the ground), one can forgive him for giving GM, at least, a great big raspberry when it came time to buy a new vehicle.

I'm glad that he traded for a Mariner. If Ford were smart (why does THAT phrase pop on these boards so often?!) it would give a hybrid to each of the Republican and Democratic presidential candidates as a goodwill gesture. Poor Mitt Romney probably grew up driving Ramblers and AMCs, so he would be especially appreciative...

Edited by grbeck

• 4 weeks later...

Clinton and Gore both purchased the 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid--instead of the 2008! The 2008 model is, of course, a vast improvement over the 2007 model, which is why I purchased the 2008 model. But what would you expect from a couple of commie-Democrats? Intelligence?

Clinton and Gore both purchased the 2007 Mercury Mariner Hybrid--instead of the 2008! The 2008 model is, of course, a vast improvement over the 2007 model, which is why I purchased the 2008 model. But what would you expect from a couple of commie-Democrats? Intelligence?

Maybe they got 2007 models because of the great deals. I got my 2004 focus when the 2005 nodel came out and got a great deal.