No word on how fast the drunk was going, but surely he was speeding:

Deputy, intern hurt in fiery crash

04:14 PM CST on Saturday, November 26, 2005

WFAA-TV Staff

A fiery crash overnight injured a Denton County Sheriff's Department deputy and a criminal justice student who was his passenger.

Deputy Billy Wilson was at a stoplight on FM 720 at Highway 380 in Oak Grove around midnight Friday when a pickup truck driven by James Patrick Jr., 32, slammed into the rear of his Ford Crown Victoria squad car.

The impact caused the vehicle's fuel tank to burst into flames. "It completely engulfed the vehicle," said sheriff's department spokesman Tom Reedy. "There was ammunition going off, their weapons going off; it was a bad scene."

Texas Woman's University intern Kelly Fair, 24, was with the deputy on a ride-along.

Because of damage to his vehicle, Wilson, 28, had to exit the squad car through the passenger's side door. He suffered first and second degree burns to his face and second and third degree burns to his hands and arms up to his elbows.

Fair had a bad gash and first and second degree burns on both hands.

Wilson and Fair were rushed to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas. Fair was treated and released. Wilson remained hospitalized in fair condition on Saturday. Reedy said he faces possible surgery and skin grafts.

Fair was treated and released.

"I tell you what: They were lucky to get out on this one," Reedy said. "If they'd been in there much longer, they'd've been gone."

Patrick, the driver of the truck, was taken to Denton Regional Medical Center to test for alcohol. The Texas Department of Public Safety will determine whether Patrick will face any charges.

Dallas police Officer Patrick Metzler was killed three years ago when his Crown Victoria patrol car was hit from behind by a suspected drunk driver and burst into flames. The incident led the city to retrofit more than 700 of its vehicles with fire supression technology.

Reedy said the Denton County Sheriff operates more than 100 Crown Victorias, all of which have had fire safety enhancements installed by Ford.

WFAA-TV photojournalist Robert Flagg contributed to this report.

Reedy said the Denton County Sheriff operates more than 100 Crown Victorias, all of which have had fire safety enhancements installed by Ford.

Hmmm, <_< for those who criticize my position on IRS; You think maybe after the current "fire safety anhancements", its about time Ford did it my way???

As I have said, ya'think a bigger ( 29 gallon ) tank, 8000# towing structure built in, and IRS might not go together quite nicely... along with 120MPH collision specs...??? ;)

Edited by SysEng

How come i don't hear about crashes with the implala.N.Y.C. and Chicago have tons of them.When i lived up there there were crashes with them all the time.Somehow thats kept under the carpet but when a Vic crashes the whole world knows about it in seconds.I starting to think dodge is behind that.I'm sure dodge gets a kick when those things happen.Don't tell me know they don't.

Funny thing about reading this...why is it all about the car? It sounds like the Dallas area has a more severe problem with drunk drivers than they do with flaming CVPIs. They can't control the drunks, so they blame the destruction on the CVPIs?

Funny thing about reading this...why is it all about the car? It sounds like the Dallas area has a more severe problem with drunk drivers than they do with flaming CVPIs. They can't control the drunks, so they blame the destruction on the CVPIs?

The rear end on "panthers" was last updated in 1998. Back then nutbars who couldn't see a large car were somewhat rare, let alone the kind doing 75+mph into the back of a cop car. Today, I think it has become something of a national sport.

And THAT's the Gotcha for Ford. They have "neglected" that part fo their fleet for years, and the fatalities are adding up. THIS IS NOT FORD's FAULT, and it isn't the cars fault either.

In terms of "optics" and reputation, however, for the entire Ford product line ( not just "panthers" ) Ford has to steup up to the plate on this one. The most prominenetly visible Ford product out there is the CVPI. If it looks like a dud then all Fords are duds.

Yes, we know better. But this is all about image... and Ford is allowing theirs to be tarnished. I sure hope this rumord '07 update exceeds my expectations. 'Cuz if it isn't a solid response to modern issues, it will go badly for Ford all the way around.

Texas had fairly weak DWI laws. Probabale cause hearings and ALR (administrative license revocation) hearings allow defense lawyers to get much of the facts of the case before the criminal trial begins, allowing them to see much, if not all of the evidence. The criminal prosecutor does not know if the defense has any "evidence" or witnesses until the trial.

This is part of the reason Texas routinely leads the nation in DWI fatality accidents.

Our agency has a part-time bike patrol, so many of our CVPI's have the frame mounted bike racks on the rear (the part connected to the bikes are removed when not in use, but the frame mounted parts stay bolted on - very similar to a trailer hitch).

We've had two low mileage '05 CVPI's totalled on the highway in the last couple of months by drunks in rear end collisions with no fires. Our mechanics are thinking the frame mounted bike racks might offer protection in these accidents that are preventing the fires. The rack mounts cause the rear-end to bottom out more often with a full load in the trunk,but a small price to pay if they are offering more protection.

Our agency has a part-time bike patrol, so many of our CVPI's have the frame mounted bike racks on the rear (the part connected to the bikes are removed when not in use, but the frame mounted parts stay bolted on - very similar to a trailer hitch).

We've had two low mileage '05 CVPI's totalled on the highway in the last couple of months by drunks in rear end collisions with no fires. Our mechanics are thinking the frame mounted bike racks might offer protection in these accidents that are preventing the fires. ....

I suspect your mechanics are right. When I suggested Ford make 8000lb towing standard, I realized that the rear frame would have to be a lot bulkier, and that that would change how it crumples... probably raises its effective speed to rupture tank in the process. Buy a bunch of cheap class IV hitches and add em on could be the solution for all fleet operators.