Colors for 2008

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Has anyone seen what the stone green color for the 08's looks like?

I've talked to several people associated with Ford and no one can tell me what the Stone Green color will look like on the 2008 Explorer. I can't imagine that it's the same as the Kiwi Green color available on the 2008 Escape as I doubt it will look good on the much larger Explorer.

Those of you that read this message board need to understand that dealers start ordering vehicles for the new model year months before the vehicles will either be built or arrive at the dealerships. As such, vehicles ordered with colors new for the upcoming model year are ordered "sight unseen". The dealers themselves won't know what the new colors look like until either the new model year vehicles start to arrive at the dealerships or when the color samples are shipped to the dealerships. The new model year color chip folders usually arrive in late August/early September.

I've talked to several people associated with Ford and no one can tell me what the Stone Green color will look like on the 2008 Explorer. I can't imagine that it's the same as the Kiwi Green color available on the 2008 Escape as I doubt it will look good on the much larger Explorer.

Those of you that read this message board need to understand that dealers start ordering vehicles for the new model year months before the vehicles will either be built or arrive at the dealerships. As such, vehicles ordered with colors new for the upcoming model year are ordered "sight unseen". The dealers themselves won't know what the new colors look like until either the new model year vehicles start to arrive at the dealerships or when the color samples are shipped to the dealerships. The new model year color chip folders usually arrive in late August/early September.

Now that's wild. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I should have my salesman order an 08 in Stone Green, equipped the way I want. If I don't like the color of the vehicle when it arrives, it's the dealer's problem. Is that right? I'm not doubting what you say. After all, this is your line of work. However, it just seems strange to me that anyone would order a vehicle in a color they haven't seen.

Now that's wild. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I should have my salesman order an 08 in Stone Green, equipped the way I want. If I don't like the color of the vehicle when it arrives, it's the dealer's problem. Is that right? I'm not doubting what you say. After all, this is your line of work. However, it just seems strange to me that anyone would order a vehicle in a color they haven't seen.

The only other opportunity that a Dealer has to see vehicle colors is by attending the new vehicle introduction show for Dealers that is usually held late July or early August. Even so, with model changeover happening so early for many models this year it's not much help. The 2008 Taurus is in production as of this week and other models start production shortly. I haven't heard anything yet about an introduction show for this year.

If I was a customer wanting to order a vehicle in a new color, not knowing what the color will look like, I'd make sure that any Buyer's Order that I signed for a factory order included a clause that any deposit would be refundable if the vehicle was unacceptable to the customer. Any reputable Dealer would accept such a condition as long as the order isn't for something completely out of line as far as vehicle specifications.

For example, our dealerships are located in the Northeast where 99.999% of customers want only 4WD. As such, we stock only 4WD Explorers but in rare cases get customers that want a 2WD for which we have a no market. For the customers requiring a 2WD Explorer we can try to locate a vehicle matching the customer's requirements or place a factory order. If we have to order the vehicle the Buyer's Order contains a clause that the customer deposit is not refundable should the customer not take delivery. This prevents the Dealership from being stuck with a vehicle that they would not normally order or stock.

Hope this helps further!

Edited by ice-capades

As usual, you've been extremely helpful and up front with the "Insider" info your average customer nevers hears about. Thanks!

So, you mean to tell me that I can't run around town and order vehicles just for kicks? LOL It looks like I'll have to take your sound advice and make sure that if the vehicle is not acceptable, I'm off the hook.

As usual, you've been extremely helpful and up front with the "Insider" info your average customer nevers hears about. Thanks!

So, you mean to tell me that I can't run around town and order vehicles just for kicks? LOL It looks like I'll have to take your sound advice and make sure that if the vehicle is not acceptable, I'm off the hook.

Thanks Dave! I'm just doing here what I do everyday for the two dealerships I work for by trying to give straight answers to questions that customers have. As a Dealer we have to earn your business every day. The only acceptable outcome is that you be completely satisfied with the service you receive from all departments.

Have a great weekend and keep me posted on your progress towards getting that new Explorer!

Hey Joe,

You are the one that deserve our thanks for all the time and effort you put into helping us.

On a change, and a stupid one at that, I sent an email to Ford CRC to ask about the new 08 colors. Rather than simply getting a yes or no response, I received a bunch of crap and excuses. If Ford needs to cut costs, they should start by dumping the CRC. OK, vent mode off.

I'll keep you posted on my progress which, if gas prices continue to soar, will be to get a Segway.