More GM Bonehead moves - no 6speed transmission in 08 GMT900 trucks

igor

This was widely expected to happen: the usual GM Fnaboy take was - GM pulled the GMT900 program ahead and as a result did not have the the 6speed transmission production ramped up yet.. so fholdover 4speed for 2007 model year and 6speed in 2008 model year ...

guess what ..

Not there:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48632

the trucks and SUV's on GMT900 platform that do not have 6speed now, will not have it for another year.

Exception:

3/4ton Suburbans and Yukon XL's will get a 6speed

Igor

Edited by igor

And I guess the real question is..... who cares? :reading: Silverados are galloping off of the lot, I haven't even stocked a single 3/4T Suburban this model year. This in a dealership that delivers 20-30 Suburbans/Tahoes a month, along with 40-50 Silverados.

So what....it makes for a great addition in year two.

I wouldn't count the 6 speeds out of the T900's yet anyway. Think about this though, it is being used by both GM & Ford, and to the best of my knowledge is only being made at one plant and that is here in metro-Detroit.

If the average Joe does not care if he receives a tried and true bullet proof 4 speed automatic or a "new to the market" 6 speed auto then...go with the tried and true 4 speed.

I don't know why people think that everyone is buying a Cadillac when they go to purchase a pick-up. Pick-up buyers are your typical construction workers who are not at all interested in the latest and greatest technology to power their truck.

Just just want something they know will work, and how they want their truck produced. Just ask Toyota.

And I guess the real question is..... who cares? :reading: Silverados are galloping off of the lot, I haven't even stocked a single 3/4T Suburban this model year. This in a dealership that delivers 20-30 Suburbans/Tahoes a month, along with 40-50 Silverados.

Actually "The trucks are taking longer to sell than the outdated models they replaced, according to date collected by Edmunds and published by the Detroit News. To make matters worse, the trucks are leaving showrooms with just $420 less incentives than the old trucks."

Actually "The trucks are taking longer to sell than the outdated models they replaced, according to date collected by Edmunds and published by the Detroit News. To make matters worse, the trucks are leaving showrooms with just $420 less incentives than the old trucks."

That's both correct... and grossly incorrect at the same time. The "Classics" were running as high as $4,000 rebates at the end of the run and flew off the lots. The new trucks only recently got $1,000 rebates in the Northwest....... wonder where they're coming up with the incentive difference? :shades:

At any rate, it's a moot question since old-style Silverados are just a fond memory except for a smattering of late-build D-Max Crews.

So what....it makes for a great addition in year two.

I wouldn't count the 6 speeds out of the T900's yet anyway. Think about this though, it is being used by both GM & Ford, and to the best of my knowledge is only being made at one plant and that is here in metro-Detroit.

If the average Joe does not care if he receives a tried and true bullet proof 4 speed automatic or a "new to the market" 6 speed auto then...go with the tried and true 4 speed.

I don't know why people think that everyone is buying a Cadillac when they go to purchase a pick-up. Pick-up buyers are your typical construction workers who are not at all interested in the latest and greatest technology to power their truck.

Just just want something they know will work, and how they want their truck produced. Just ask Toyota.

Winnah right there. Pickup buyers are a different breed- they aren't necessarily looking for the latest and the greatest, just something with rock solid reliability, durability, and a traditional "I'm a full-size pickup" design. I swear if ford re-introduced the '92 bodystyle, they'd sell as many or more than the new one. Don't believe me? check out the resale of '92-'97 Diesel fords of that vintage. A nice one will bring substantially more than a '99-'00 new-style Super Duty.

Winnah right there. Pickup buyers are a different breed- they aren't necessarily looking for the latest and the greatest, just something with rock solid reliability, durability, and a traditional "I'm a full-size pickup" design. I swear if ford re-introduced the '92 bodystyle, they'd sell as many or more than the new one. Don't believe me? check out the resale of '92-'97 Diesel fords of that vintage. A nice one will bring substantially more than a '99-'00 new-style Super Duty.

I guess they must be a different breed. The '92 bodystyle actually dated back to 1980 and they are tin cans. In 1980 Ford needed to reduce the weight of their fullsized pickup and they did in a huge way. Granted they finally filled in the frame holes and added additional body bracing a few years later. I was actually happy to see the 1997 F-150 and 1999 SuperDuty come out because they finally got away from the tin-can bodies and built some solid trucks again.

I have spent many miles in F-150's of that era, 1982, 1987, 1992 and a 1995. They were good pickups and did well around the farm, but were not well built. I still remember on a windy day the drivers door would pull out from the suction of the wind and you could see daylight. Maybe the heavy duty versions were better, but they had the same cab and tinny box, so I doubt it, but hey, if they like them who am I to judge.

Actually MT did a write up on that one. I wish I could find it, very interesting findings.....

My guess: The rotors were too small, and no one thought to try it with bigger rotors. Compare rotor sizes for GM and Ford pickups. The F150 has larger rotors on the rear wheels, and per Popular Mechanics testing, stopped something like 30' shorter from 60mph WITH a load.

That's both correct... and grossly incorrect at the same time. The "Classics" were running as high as $4,000 rebates at the end of the run and flew off the lots. The new trucks only recently got $1,000 rebates in the Northwest....... wonder where they're coming up with the incentive difference? :shades:

At any rate, it's a moot question since old-style Silverados are just a fond memory except for a smattering of late-build D-Max Crews.

Wall Street Journal just confirmed the oversupply problem with the new trucks.

link