New Jetta to get 60 MPG?

LSFan00

http://www.spyphotos.autoblog.com/2007/05/...al-fuel-sipper/

I am past prodding/hyperbole in imploring some sort of even fake PR that Ford is going to humor the compact/subcompact market with a diesel niche product...

I imagine Ford is going to wait until the dust settles after EPA '10. Remember, in the Passat and the Mercedes cars they will be using urea injection. I think that is going to be a sticking point.

It certainly wouldnt be a bad commuter, lets see what other models they put this technology in within their base set of models.

Now i keep hearing about the EPA guidelines and the "huge" maintenance bills for diesels. I am not used to that kind of thing from the diesels i have used in the UK, what gives about diesels here? I know people were turned off by the smoke in the 70/80's and the noisy engine, there was the stink about sulphur in the fuel and they had (still have?) a bad image for the longest time. Are the high maintenence costs just due to fewer diesel mechanics being available to cover a niche market?

I prefer a more smart & sexy 70MPG car that AVERAGES 70MPG and runs for free on fresh air at 30 MPH, not one that just does 60MPG at 56MPH like the VW Jetta. Diesels noisy l don't think so, not any more.

http://coolcars.blogsome.com/category/peugeot/

Peugeot 308 - Smart & Sexy 70-MPG Average.

Remember your MPG is 20% more than the MPG over here due to the size of the US gal to the Imperial gal or 1 US gal = 3.78L (seeing as its been sold like that for at least a decade now). So a 308 with 70mpg is only 58mpg over here - basically the same thing as the 60 of the Jetta Wagon. Then again there is also likely to be a difference in the stated mileage due to the testing methods over here for the EPA vs whatever BS (is there still testing to British Standards?) or Eurocode that emissions now go by to come up with that number.

If there were affordable and available diesels over here i might well buy one as they generally make more sense, the price is practically the same as regular unleaded, but you get 20-30% more mileage per gallon due to the efficient combustion.

Not intending to hijack the post, but are there any plans for diesel hybrids? I mean, if a stand alone turbo diesel can get 40 without breaking a sweat, surely 60 or even 70 mpg would be feasable with the hybrid powertrain added? As far as the pisant wagon goes, I'll NEVER own a VW until I see firm evidence of improvement to their dismal reliability record in this country.

As far as the pisant wagon goes, I'll NEVER own a VW until I see firm evidence of improvement to their dismal reliability record in this country.

This is something i am trying to get my head around, reliability elsewhere in the world for Ford and VW products doesnt seem too bad, but here they are known for being unreliable. For Ford i have heard many times that they just took their eye off the ball and didnt put too much into the product, but for VW i cannot see how they would balls it up when their record in Europe and elsewhere seems quite good. Its strange that the market over here has such an issue with reliability of cars and such, is it high expectations, poor workmanship, a bit of both or something else? Maybe i am only dealing with folks who give a crap about it and talk about it compared to the rest who just accept it, might bitch and moan a little, but dont do anything constructive about it? Or is it the media spinning stories to suit their advertisers or with an agenda?

Remember your MPG is 20% more than the MPG over here due to the size of the US gal to the Imperial gal or 1 US gal = 3.78L (seeing as its been sold like that for at least a decade now). So a 308 with 70mpg is only 58mpg over here - basically the same thing as the 60 of the Jetta Wagon. Then again there is also likely to be a difference in the stated mileage due to the testing methods over here for the EPA vs whatever BS (is there still testing to British Standards?) or Eurocode that emissions now go by to come up with that number.

If there were affordable and available diesels over here i might well buy one as they generally make more sense, the price is practically the same as regular unleaded, but you get 20-30% more mileage per gallon due to the efficient combustion.

Yes you are correct your US Gallon is smaller, the Jetta in Europe mentioned in the title Averages 40 MPG, the Peugeot 308 Averages 58 based on the US Gallon, Peugeot hybrid diesel delivers free motoring under 30 MPH whist the Jetta consumes 32 MPG. Toyota's Prious drinks more than the Peugeot 308 as well but does it on unleaded not diesel l don't know what price differences are in the US. So it’s all a bit of a minefield. Thank you again for pointing it out the differences, you do tend to forget. But we still pay $10 for our bigger gallon, which is still a rip off.

This is something i am trying to get my head around, reliability elsewhere in the world for Ford and VW products doesnt seem too bad, but here they are known for being unreliable. For Ford i have heard many times that they just took their eye off the ball and didnt put too much into the product, but for VW i cannot see how they would balls it up when their record in Europe and elsewhere seems quite good. Its strange that the market over here has such an issue with reliability of cars and such, is it high expectations, poor workmanship, a bit of both or something else? Maybe i am only dealing with folks who give a crap about it and talk about it compared to the rest who just accept it, might bitch and moan a little, but dont do anything constructive about it? Or is it the media spinning stories to suit their advertisers or with an agenda?

My info on VW comes directly from previous owners' I've known as well as gleaming JD Power reports. Sadly, V-Dub's "record" is apparently well earned. I don't think european expectations are any different than ours. Keep in mind, (and I may be incorrect on this), that euro cars are built in Europe, not here, like manyof American Spec cars. I also did some checking on Audi and it seems they're doing better than a few years ago, but still lag behind others like BMW and especially Lexus.

It will use regenerative brake mechanism that reduces vehicle speed by converting some of its kinetic energy into electrical energy, this FREE energy is stored in a nickel metal hydride compact battery back, this will allow the car to be run in a built up city environment using electrical power up to 30 MPH with zero emissions until the batteries discharge then it will no longer be FREE.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/03/22/ne...rid-powertrain/

But it's not actually free.

Energy can neither be created nor destroyed (first law of thermodynamics). This 'free' energy came from somewhere, and wherever it came from, it cost something.

It's like returning a deposit bottle v. just throwing it away. You paid the extra nickel when you bought it, you miight as well get that nickel back. I guess to some people it's just eaisier to throw it away. It is only a nickel afterall. :banghead:

Remember your MPG is 20% more than the MPG over here due to the size of the US gal to the Imperial gal or 1 US gal = 3.78L.

A U.S gallon is 3.78 Liters. An Imperial Gallon is 4L roughly a 16% percent differance.

With the way the price of gas is going the first one with high milage modern diesel in a non luxery midsized car in NA is going to clean up big time. I suspect the VW Diesel wagon is going to be a big seller as long as is it not totally gutless. And Volkswagon can do some thing about it's horrid quality.

I owned a Jetta diesel bought it new, that was when they were still built in Germany.

It was the biggest POS I ever owned period. The only thing that was any good on it was the engine. it even digested home brewed Bio-D with out a hiccup. But the rest of the car was just shit.

I got rid of it when the warrenty expired and when I did it had the equivelent dollar value done on it in warrenty work as the purchase price of the car. There were no lemon laws at the time here. Just about every single sytem on the car not related directly to the engine had at least one failer most 2 or 3. Plus numerous trim issues. Again the only thing that never F'd up was the engine.

And the dealer service was horrendous. They made the worst Ford's dealers look great.

I was not the only Jetta owner who exprianced this either, more than a few people that owned them had similar story's.

Never again will I ever own anouther VW.

I'll walk befor that.

Mait costs on small diesel vehicals in my experiance is way lower than gasoline engines. As there are no plugs wires or coil packs to deal with. Repair costs on the other hand are way higher. Perhaps that is what was meant.

Engine longevity is much higher than gas engines, most diesel cars are retired not due to the engines wearing out but the rest of the car wearing out.

BMW has anouced that is going to be selling a Deisel 5 series in Canada for 2008 I belive.

That will be worth looking at.

Matthew

A U.S gallon is 3.78 Liters. An Imperial Gallon is 4L roughly a 16% percent differance.

Please check your facts before posting and trying to correct me ;) . An Imperial gallon is 4.54L which happens to be 20% more than a US gallon 3.78L - trust me i have dealt in both systems in my life, i might have a clue....

Please check your facts before posting and trying to correct me ;) . An Imperial gallon is 4.54L which happens to be 20% more than a US gallon 3.78L - trust me i have dealt in both systems in my life, i might have a clue....

MY mistake I was having a moment. And belive me I should know better consdiering I have spent most of my life using Imperial gallons and deal with both on a dalily basis. That is what i get for multi-tasking While posting a responce. :doh:

Matthew