FWD vs AWD

rickg

Currently trying to decide whether it's worth it for us to get AWD over FWD. We live year round in Florida and don't tow a trailer....is there a reason to choose AWD then? What are the major benefits and/or disadvantages?

Thanks!

Advantages:

- in reduced traction like gravel, RAIN etc, AWD will get you there is a safer manner .. but really only because it allows you to ACCELERATE and MANEUVER better in those condition. Brakes are the same .. so it will not help you stop any faster.

- a slight advantage with the Edge AWD system is that it makes the Edge behave like RWD car under cornering and acceleration, because it sends 80% of the power to the rear even if there is no slippage.

Disadvantages:

- weight - it will rob you of power and fuel economy

- price

- more things to go wrong down the road - if you plan to keep it till the wheels fall off.

Igor

Thank you for the responses.

Since my wife will be driving this vehicle with my 2 kids, I want the safest possible ...so I had considered the AWD (she currently drives a VW Touareg with permanent 4wd, which handles much better than my Expedition in rainy conditions).

But I don't want to shell out an additional $1600 if there really isn't much of a difference or advantage. I'll therefore look more towards the purchase of the FWD vehicle.

the AWD question is a tough one .. it takes a single incident / accident for the AWD investment to pay for itself - many times over ... but the chances of it actually happening are not very high ...

I myself am not sure what to do - especially living in the north.

Igor

Unless you drive a lot on dirt or gravel roads - FWD should be fine.

I've never seen a FWD get stuck on a dirt or gravel road, dry anyway. For that matter, I've never gotten my Mustang stuck on a dirt or gravel road either. Without some sort of moisture in the picture, ie mud or snow, I really don't see any need for AWD at all.

If you live in Florida, I personally wouldnt spend the money for AWD. AWD is really nice if you live in a place that has snowy winters, but if you dont drive in the snow then AWD is a waste.

With front-drive your car is going to get better fuel economy and actually be faster (if you can get traction) because there will be less of a drag on the engine.

Some people will probably say that AWD gives you better cornering grip and it does, but are you going to use all that grip on your daily commute? Probably not enough to make it worth paying a premium for AWD.