New 08 escape

delz05

Just took delivery of my new 08 Escape Limited 4WD, black slate/black leather. First impressions...looks great, nice fit and finish, comfortable ride, interior a huge improvement over the 07's.

My only complaint...I upgraded my wheels to the 17inch, chrome wheels (order code 647) and expected to see some pretty nice rims. WRONG! Cheap plastic chrome covers glued onto 17 inch aluminum wheels, the covers don't even cover the wheel lip! Very upset...mostly at my self... for spending 700.00 for this upgrade. I had originally planned on regular Limited wheels, and buying nice aftermarket chromes on my own. Should have gone with instinct.

Spent today going back and forth with FORD about what was ordered vs what was delivered, and how nothing in their order guide says "plastic chrome wheels covers", just 17 inch chrome wheesl.

Hopefully this will get resolved quickly, other wise a great truck!

Just took delivery of my new 08 Escape Limited 4WD, black slate/black leather. First impressions...looks great, nice fit and finish, comfortable ride, interior a huge improvement over the 07's.

My only complaint...I upgraded my wheels to the 17inch, chrome wheels (order code 647) and expected to see some pretty nice rims. WRONG! Cheap plastic chrome covers glued onto 17 inch aluminum wheels, the covers don't even cover the wheel lip! Very upset...mostly at my self... for spending 700.00 for this upgrade. I had originally planned on regular Limited wheels, and buying nice aftermarket chromes on my own. Should have gone with instinct.

Spent today going back and forth with FORD about what was ordered vs what was delivered, and how nothing in their order guide says "plastic chrome wheels covers", just 17 inch chrome wheesl.

Ecchh. I'd be pretty pissed, too. Myself I'd rather have a nice brushed aluminum wheel than gaudy chrome anyday, but if you're going to go chrome aftermarket is the only way to do it, nothing factory looks worth a damn from any manufacturer. But, to be charged seven hundred big ones for glued on chrome afterthoughts, that's a kick in the junk.

Indeed, the 17" wheel isn't a true chrome plated wheel; rather it uses Lacks Enterprises' "Chromtec" process. In essence, cladding consisting of electroplated thermoplastic composite is bonded to an aluminum wheel.

Several GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicles offer this kind of wheel. Ford markets them as "chrome clad" wheels (at least that's what I saw in the '08 Escape order guide).

Same here, I got my Sport Trac home, went to wipe some dirt off the chrome wheel and "WHAT THE FUCK" I couldn't believe it FUCKING PLASTIC

I bet every manufacturer adopts this type of wheel. They will need to save weight any way possible to meet upcoming EPA regulations.

If they want to reduce unsprung weight they are going to have to use more expensive forged wheels. Cast aluminum wheels are no lighter than the bainitic and DUAL-TEN steel wheels that many OEMs now use.

I agree that the NEW listing on the Ford website lists Chrome Clad 17inch wheels. When I placed my order at the beginning of May, they were listed as Chrome Wheels. The Ford Order code of 647 prints out as "WHLS, 17 CHROME" when I ordered it. Since I took delivery (and made a few calls to Ford) they have changed their website info. The Ford Escape Brochure listed them as 17" Upgrade Wheels", have not checked to see if this has been changed.

Long story...short version.....Ford agreed to "buy back" the wheels, had the dealer replace them with the "regular" Limited Wheels, and they refunded the cost back to me, with a little extra funds for my inconvenience. Ended up with a very nice set of American Racing "KILLER" style, 18in, with tires for 200.00 more than what I received back from Ford.

All in all, a headache cured with a couple of asprin!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that myself,I was at a dealership this past week and from a distance the chrome wheels look great until I got closer and noticed they were chrome clip ons, Ford should be giving those wheels away as standard item instead of paying extra for them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It says nothing about chrome wheels. It says "17" Chrome Clad Aluminium Wheels"

Same thing goes with the Edge. Although on the new 2008 Edge, they now have a 20" Chrome Clad wheels that look amazing!!!

I've seen the 20" wheels on both the Edge and MKX, they do look great on the vehicles.