Escape Hybrid - Towing Experience.

I own a 2006 Escape Hybrid FWD, with about 30,000 miles on it. It is proving to be an excellent all-around vehicle. We have achieved mileage as low as 28 MPG and as high as 36, with an overall average of around 30.

The Owner's Manual says that it can tow up to 1,000 #. I have a small (5 X 8), enclosed utility trailer with electric brakes that I tow on occasion. It tows just fine on local tows, but I have not taken it on any extended highway towing, or towing where I encountered any long grades.

Has anyone with an Escape Hybrid done any extended towing and/or towing on long grades that they would care to comment on ?

I have no experience towing with and escape Hybrid, but on HWY cruising, just think of the Escape as a 4cylinde Escape .. because that is exactly what it is at HWY cruising.. the Escape's Hybrid system rarely kicks in at those speeds

Igor

• 10 months later...

There has been a poster in greenhybrid.com who towed a Shasta 14 foot trailer (estimated weight of 1400 lbs) from Kansas City, Mo. to Washington D.C. This guy traveled thru the Mountains of West Virgina with RPMS at 4500 on the long upgrades. I have read of an individual who towed a horse trailer (2000lbs) for several miles (flat land) with no trouble. Somone even claimed to see a FEH with four individuals inside hauling the largest U-Haul available up the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. I under if this was a FORD research team as a high altitude test center exists in Colorado. Remember, just because you can do it, doesn't always mean you should do it.

As for the hybrid system kicking on during highway travel, it does all the time. Everytime (well almost because this can change in very cold or hot weather) one releases pressure from the accelerator, a shot of regenerative charging occurs and the hybrid battery is "recharged". Electric assist does occur during interstate driving -10 horse power for 40 seconds/40 horsepower for 10 seconds--but not for long durations.