Good Off-Roader

MERKURXR4Ti

Here's my confession:

I got into 4wheeling after I bought a 92 explorer 4x4 for $350, but alas with 245k on the odo it finally died on me, but not before I had decided that my next car be at least as good off road. I really do love Ford and most of the cars/trucks they make, but what option did I have? I see Defenders once in a while but theyre always around 30-50k for a decent one, that left me with a few Japanese wanabe all-terrain trucks, the blazer zr2 (which I can't find in stick) and a wrangler. So here I am with 2 Fords and a Jeep Wrangler with Ford stickers and accessories all over it. Funny side note- I actually got confused and angry when I couldnt find a motorcraft oil filter.

So..sparing no expense, this is what I want..Listen up Ford:

-Take the Explorer's frame (unless I'm forgetting a more sutable one), chop the overhangs and wheelbase, make it 2 door, or optional 4

-Give it the old 70's bronco style removalble top

-replace the independent suspensions with solid ones and Dana 44 axles front and back

-Give me at least a limited slip, preferably a limited slip and a locking diff at the other end

-Toss in the d37 or d40 (if there is such a thing) and make sure its capable of handling some dirt and dust

-add a sturdy 5speed manual

-of course 4wd must be standard along with low range

-lift it a good 3-4 inches

-throw some nice 32"+ mud terrain tires

-style after the bronco concept

-make the doors removable

...so basically I know I'm asking for a badass wrangler with a blue oval on it, but why not? with how the new wrangler is selling, I can dream...

Finally, and most importantly, call it the Bronco!

Taking the current Explorer platform, making it a 2-door and putting a solid axle in the rear (and optional up front) would be ideal.

But don't listen to me, because I'm the guy who also thinks a new Ranger based on the current Explorer is a fantastic idea also...

• 5 weeks later...
The Explorer is nothing more than a tall station wagon with AWD. Have you ever been under one? The plastic fuel tank hangs 3\4 of an inch below the frame. Also, There is now way to put solid rears under that frame anyway.

That's the fuel tank protective casing. It covers the fuel tank to protect it. Every Ford vehicle has it.

The frame is set up for IRS, so no... a solid rear axle is out of the question.

Edited by Meelaan

• 1 month later...
That's the fuel tank protective casing. It covers the fuel tank to protect it. Every Ford vehicle has it.

The frame is set up for IRS, so no... a solid rear axle is out of the question.

There is NO "protective casing" under the tank on an Exploader. The tank itself is plastic, which is no big deal but, It hangs down 1\2-3\4 below the frame.