Ecosport Being Tested Here

FordBuyer

On Five Mile Rd. west of Farmingon, I saw a black, undisguised Ford Ecosport being tested with manufacturers plate and test number in front window. It is much like the yellow Ecosport that has been sitting in Livonia Trans parking lot. You could tell this black one was undrgoing real world testing as you could see the test equipment through window. I'm beginning to think something is going on here and this vehicle will be sold here. Anyone with knowledge about this? The vehicle I saw today of course had four doors, smaller than Escape, and looks like its on compact vehicle chassis with Escape looks. It looked like it could be AWD with its high center of gravity. I know Mazda now has compact CUV, maybe Ford is getting one too. The Ecosport certainly looks like small CUV, but not as modern looking as Mazda version. The Ecosport looks like it could get 30mpg on highway with almost as much room as Escape. Ford sure is testing the hell out of this vehicle in Metro Detroit and it was finished production unit, not test mule. It also had big Ford logos front and back.

On Five Mile Rd. west of Farmingon, I saw a black, undisguised Ford Ecosport being tested with manufacturers plate and test number in front window. It is much like the yellow Ecosport that has been sitting in Livonia Trans parking lot. You could tell this black one was undrgoing real world testing as you could see the test equipment through window. I'm beginning to think something is going on here and this vehicle will be sold here. Anyone with knowledge about this? The vehicle I saw today of course had four doors, smaller than Escape, and looks like its on compact vehicle chassis with Escape looks. It looked like it could be AWD with its high center of gravity. I know Mazda now has compact CUV, maybe Ford is getting one too. The Ecosport certainly looks like small CUV, but not as modern looking as Mazda version. The Ecosport looks like it could get 30mpg on highway with almost as much room as Escape. Ford sure is testing the hell out of this vehicle in Metro Detroit and it was finished production unit, not test mule. It also had big Ford logos front and back.

Its for brazil..trust me

it might be a lot of things .. that model is outgoing even in Brazil ..

it might be old body with the new platform, or just the new engine and the new transmission ...

EcoSport - the NEXT generation is coming ... but an old EcoSport testing US means very little ..

Igor

It's just a test vehicle for 6 speed auto. There's a couple of Ecosports, along with a Mercury Freestyle, a Mondeo wagon, and a few Mustang mules parked at the Livonia trans plant on Levan and Plymouth. They've been there for 6+ months.

it might be a lot of things .. that model is outgoing even in Brazil ..

it might be old body with the new platform, or just the new engine and the new transmission ...

EcoSport - the NEXT generation is coming ... but an old EcoSport testing US means very little ..

Igor

Not really NEXT generation Only a facelift similar to that on the Brazilian Fiesta for 3Q 2007 as 2008 MY which will keep it soldiering on up to 2012 +/-

They sell all they can build so why invest much in them right? :(

Not really NEXT generation Only a facelift similar to that on the Brazilian Fiesta for 3Q 2007 as 2008 MY which will keep it soldiering on up to 2012 +/-

They sell all they can build so why invest much in them right? :(

Remember what happened to the ranger and crown vic. when they took that approach. Its all about Kaizen, theres always something that can be improved or tweaked.

Whoa, hold onto the horses folks!

That Livonia Trans Plant is going to be the GLOBAL plant for the new 6 speed front wheel trans. If you saw a vehicle with all the "test equipment" in it, you DO realize that all transmissions made today are controlled ELECTRONICALLY don't you?

There are multiple CAN buses in today's Fords, and one is the direct link between the trans and powertrain control module.

Just plug in CANape/CANalyzer and drive down the road, you can calibrate/troubleshoot that trans WITHOUT a dyno, now THAT'S engineering sweetness right there.

They could have MANY other cars that would NEVER make it in the NA market, but still have the parts designed and manufactured here.

Its the American Way. :happy feet: