THUD!

kenkillsr

Tech's;

We took a trip in our 2005 E350SD 6.0L PSTD SMB RB15 Class "B" motorhome to Indiana July 16-19.

Camped out @ OUABACHE {?Wabash?} State Park near Bluffton.

Dropped the travel trailer and drove to SMB in Huntington.

It was raining on the way back to camp so I was manually downshifting to assist braking on wet pavement.

I noticed a thud [?in the driveline?] upon acceleration, with the transmission manually shifted into low [1st]gear.

This occured while running light {7500LBS} but was not noticed while

towing.

Do We have a problem?

Tech's;

We took a trip in our 2005 E350SD 6.0L PSTD SMB RB15 Class "B" motorhome to Indiana July 16-19.

Camped out @ OUABACHE {?Wabash?} State Park near Bluffton.

Dropped the travel trailer and drove to SMB in Huntington.

It was raining on the way back to camp so I was manually downshifting to assist braking on wet pavement.

I noticed a thud [?in the driveline?] upon acceleration, with the transmission manually shifted into low [1st]gear.

This occured while running light {7500LBS} but was not noticed while

towing.

Do We have a problem?

Hi ken. Take it to the Dealer, describe the symptoms, how and when it occurs, etc. Have them test drive it and see what they have to say. It is impossible to diagnose your problem/non-problem over the Internet.

If I were you, I would leave out the part about "manually downshifting" the transmission. No sense in giving them ammunition to claim any damage was possibly your fault.

If I were you, I would also stop manually downshifting for braking purposes, unless you are using it for long downhill stretches by putting it in a lower gear and leaving it there until the lower gear is no longer needed (not constantly shifting up and down like it is a manual transmission, on hills, flat ground, etc.). In general, an automatic transmission should not be used like a manual trans.

In other words, you should not normally be using your transmission for braking purposes on flat ground, whether the pavement is wet or not.

I apologize if I am misunderstanding what you are doing, but thought it better to play it safe.

I hope it is nothing serious. Good luck :beerchug: !

PS - Do you have a transmission cooler on your E-350 (I'm not sure if they come standard or not)? If you don't you should install one.

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...

My E350 is equipt with factory tranny cooler but considering additional too.

Going to dealer for MAJOR service this fall including LOF, Fuel system check and filters. Brake system drain, flush, and fill, Tranny and torque converter drain, flush, and fill, Cooling system drain, flush and fill, Differential drain, flush ,and fill, etc?